Author Topic: Need some advice...........or some help!  (Read 14362 times)

Offline Sartobuilt

• Registered Users
Re: Need some advice...........or some help!
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2011, 10:14:30 PM »
X2... you spent $1400, then tells you the frame is bent?

If he is telling you that and you already spent $1400.00, I wouldn't spend any more with him.  If you can't find someone who can fix it, I would start looking for a new frame, or search for years that would fit.

Offline edonprewitt

« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2011, 07:27:22 AM »
All great stuff.......thanks for your replys............its not so much the repair as it is the space.   If I "have" to change the frame out I will have to find another place to do it as my HOA doesn't allow massive repairs, even in the garage.  Any suggestions on how much I would be talking about to get the frame changed at a shop, whether it be a body shop, frame shop, or whatever.  I do agree that it would be a good time to start the restoration process.............just didn't want to get started this early as the funds are running a little short these days, if you know what I mean.
While I'm thinking about it................. the major pull on the straightening was behind the shock mount and the tip of the frame (ahead of the motor mount) was bent in a bit more.   So the weight of the engine and suspension reaction would be the only issue with the frame straightening(even though they are the big ones).  If I get the straightening done is there a way to reinforce the frame on the inside?  Anyone done this or did I miss something in my internet travels for frame repairs?
Thanks again
Don

Offline edonprewitt

« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2011, 07:38:38 AM »
Another thought........because it's early am here.............. what is the devaluation of the truck if I change the frame.   I may not have noted before but this truck was the new nomenclature V-10 with the first with fuel injection. What does the impact of different numbers on the frame mean to the value of the truck once it is restored............................
As I understand my research the V was used for only one year in transition to the new design style, and a couple of other reasons that I can't think of right now. 
Thanks again
don

Offline bake74

• Build Thread
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2011, 09:06:49 AM »
     unfortunately the frame swap will have an impact on the value of a classic restored vehicle, that is if you are entering it into shows for that purpose.  If you want to keep it because you love it, then a frame swap is the best solution.  I hope you got the money to fix it from the people who hit you.
#1: The easiest and most obvious solution to any problem is 99% of the time correct.
#2: There is no such thing as impossible, it just takes longer.
  74 k10, 77k10    Tom

Offline edonprewitt

« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2011, 09:44:35 AM »
Oh, of course not!   Bad address, bad phone number, no insurance, you know the drill..............
OK, I'm back on top of the fix-or-replace fence............... can anyone help me with the years for the correct frame?
Thanks in advance
Don

Offline Captkaos

• OWNER and Administrator
  • Administrator
    • http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2011, 06:06:35 PM »
Honestly, swapping frames on a 73-87 isn't going to devalue the truck.  Numbers matching on something you don't plan to get rid of means nothing.
If you want to use the truck swap the frame, if you are hoping to get more money out of it by keeping the factory frame, remember that it is damaged.  That is going to be less money.  Numbers matching on a regular pickup isn't a big deal either, and generally you will be hard pressed to find the VIN on one of these truck frames, a lot of times it is under the cab.

Offline bake74

• Build Thread
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2011, 10:01:18 AM »
can anyone help me with the years for the correct frame?

I am not sure as yours is an 87 and a v10 ?  That would be best be answered by capt. I would assume.  If he doesn't see it, try to send him a pm.
#1: The easiest and most obvious solution to any problem is 99% of the time correct.
#2: There is no such thing as impossible, it just takes longer.
  74 k10, 77k10    Tom

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2011, 09:47:53 PM »
I'll assume it's a shortbed? Any 81-87 K10 or V10 frame will swap.

It might devalue the truck in 50 + years but what's the alternative? Swap the frame and for $1400 bucks you coulda paid someone to do it for you on the side.
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline edonprewitt

« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2011, 08:58:50 AM »
Ok, well now that I have fallen off the fence with the second frame place letting me know that the frame is kinked where it is twisted, waved under the cab and diamoned and they won't even try to fix it, I guess my next question is.............
Can I use a 2X4 frame for my 4X4?   There are a couple of project trucks that are pretty much down to the frame by they are all 81-87 2X4s.
Thanks for your continued support.
Don

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2011, 09:40:05 AM »
You could but it's a lot more work and a lot more stuff to swap plus you'll be part hunting since your springs and hangers are wrecked too. Shock mounts, bump stops etc are riveted I would just look for a 4x4 with a good frame for cheap
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

Offline thirsty

• Suitor's Garage
« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2011, 09:59:14 AM »
X2 on what Vile said coming from somebody that has done it.

Here is a pic of mine with a 2wd frame.

Only place on the 2wd frame that I did not have to drill was the rear spring mounts but they still needed to be changed out for the 4wd ones. All spring hangers are different, no holes for the rear of the front springs on a 2wd, engine mounts were different, I even found that the wheel arch is a different shape. I made jigs off of my old 4wd frame to locate everything. It was a lot of work to get a rust free frame.
Real trucks are built, not bought Build thread

Give me a long enough lever and a place to stand, and I shall move the earth or break this bolt...Whatever, just hold my beer!

Offline spectreblazer

« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2011, 05:33:48 PM »
go 4x4.

when i stripped my frame completely down i could not find an engraved or stamped vin. so i don't see it devaluing it if you get another frame. if anything herculine it and say it's the same frame.

Offline thirsty

• Suitor's Garage
« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2011, 04:31:18 PM »
I had two sets of numbers on my 2wd frame. One I can't remember where it is and one I found in a pic I had. I don't think you can see them with the truck assembled.

My opinion is that a good, clean, solid new frame isn't going to hurt the value of your truck. The value is down right now because of the accident and a new frame is only going to bring it up from there.
Real trucks are built, not bought Build thread

Give me a long enough lever and a place to stand, and I shall move the earth or break this bolt...Whatever, just hold my beer!

Offline edonprewitt

« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2011, 08:17:37 PM »
Continuing saga on frame research.................. had to leave the junk yard because they were closing but I did find an 83 4x4 fleetside shortbed..... One question, the front had a single shock and mine has two.  The VIN# is 1GCEK14CXDJ117126. It appears to be (in the short time I had) to be pretty much consistent with what I have..........mine is still at the frame shop so I can't compare it until tomorrow.   Any indication as to why the shock difference?

Thanks in advance
Don "fell off the fence"

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: February 22, 2011, 08:37:53 PM »
Quad shock set up is an option. You can swap the brackets over to the other frame or just skip the quad shocks and go with a good quality single shock. To be honest I never noticed a huge difference between one or the other.
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)