Author Topic: fuel gauge not working when lights turn on  (Read 13483 times)

Offline blazer74

Re: fuel gauge not working when lights turn on
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2015, 02:06:55 AM »
^ look for a black wire pushed back in the connector at the cluster

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Boxchevrolet

« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2015, 01:20:48 AM »
i still haven't found the issue, I've traced every ground and they are all in place and making good contact, any other ideas?

Offline roger97338

• Registered Users
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2015, 01:57:22 AM »
While researching that very same problem with my 1985 I found this site.  Mine turned out to be a bad plastic circuit board on the back of the speedometer.  I went to a pick and pull and found a replacement cluster, worked like a charm..

That exact same thing happened to me, as well. The problem (for me, anyway.) was one of the dash light bulbs had melted its hole in the cluster. My constantly trying to get it to tighten up tore up the printed circuit that fed power to it, and it eventually caused a short.

Mine, however, blew the fuse for the instrument cluster whenever I turned on the lights.

Online bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2015, 10:26:14 AM »
i still haven't found the issue, I've traced every ground and they are all in place and making good contact, any other ideas?

Do this: 
Connect a voltmeter, attaching the positive lead to shiny bare metal on the cab and the negative lead directly to the battery negative terminal.  Have a helper turn on the windshield wipers, dome lamp, etc.  Is there any voltage reading greater than zero?
Rich
It's difficult to know just how much you don't know until you know it.
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!
87 R10 Silverado Fleetside 355 MPFI 700R4 3.42 Locker (aka Rusty, aka Mater)