Author Topic: Replace Parking Lights with Hella 550 Fog Lamps on an '87 R10?  (Read 5063 times)

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
Re: Replace Parking Lights with Hella 550 Fog Lamps on an '87 R10?
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2018, 04:37:11 PM »
if you have an issue with a dim light it might be due to a bad ground
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline semperfido

• Avid Classic Vehicle Enthusiast
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2018, 07:41:42 AM »
Yes, I know. It wasn't a bad ground... just old wiring and a "sketchy" design that took power from the battery, through the headlight switch (at full blast), and then all the way up front to the headlights. I installed my relay harness with Bosch relays and now power runs directly from the battery to my headlights, activated through the relays (which get their signals directly from the original headlight wiring). No muss no fuss... 20-minute install... a fraction of the "juice" now runs through the headlights switch... no need to "hack" into your original wiring... original wiring and headlight connectors are still intact so if in the unlikely event that a relay fails, I can still plug the original wiring into the headlights to get me where I'm going.

If you haven't done this simple mod/upgrade yet (for under $20), you should! My headlights are now AWESOME! After the headlight relay harness, I decided to install the H4 conversion headlamps too. Even better (and another modification that took just about 20 minutes).

As always when working under the hood, just be mindful of the positive battery terminal. It's surprisingly easy to drop something across there and short it to the chassis ;0)
1987 Chevy R10 Custom Deluxe, 305

Offline semperfido

• Avid Classic Vehicle Enthusiast
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2018, 09:27:34 AM »
OK, I committed. I bought the Hella 550 fog light kit with amber lenses for $65. It includes the wiring harness with relay and H3 lamps. When I find some time, I'll try the install. Busy trying to sell my house before I drive cross-country so it may be a while. I'll check back in when I have more info to share.
1987 Chevy R10 Custom Deluxe, 305

Offline Moose Drool

• New Users
« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2018, 10:16:04 AM »
Bringing this back up, to see how it turned out.