Author Topic: Why is the tailgate handle always cockeyed?  (Read 7863 times)

Offline Skunksmash

Why is the tailgate handle always cockeyed?
« on: August 12, 2008, 02:19:33 AM »
I don't think i have ever seen one of these old trucks that was still original body, with a straight tail gate handle. Anyone else ever notice this? It's like they were all built with this factory defect. What is the typical fix for this weird problem?

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
Re: Why is the tailgate handle always cockeyed?
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2008, 06:34:58 AM »
It's from people yanking on them. Jcwhitney sells a decent replacement one and a chrome one cheap.
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline Skunksmash

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2008, 03:20:34 PM »
Wonder if there are any good grease points for lubing so it will make it open easier? I bet its an easy fix to replace it. I can see what you mean about people yanking on them, they are generally hard to open.

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2008, 04:07:36 PM »
You can lubricate the latches and the linkage.
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

Offline dspen666

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2009, 01:35:30 AM »
my handle is cocked too, but it opens very easy...

Offline andipunktde

« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2019, 09:12:46 AM »
...sorry to reply to a thread which has been asleep for 10yrs now, but it matches my question:

why are the old handles cockeyed?

I got a "new" 74 tailgate for my 73 truck, and, surprise, the handle is cockeyed.

First I thought it should be easy to bent it straight again, so I dismounted it.
But I couldnt see where its supposed to be bent/skewed. I looks very robust and got foldings to stiffen it up.

Then I got me an aftermarket handle from Doorman (# 77076), but this handle was skewed in the exact same way from factory!
To me, it looks like its constructed this way, no signs of bending forces, the dimensions look like its supposed this way. (same with orginal 74 handle).

Anyone got suggestions how to get the original handle back straight? whats the root cause?  :o

Attached are a few pictures of my handles.

Thanks!
Andi
« Last Edit: December 25, 2019, 09:15:40 AM by andipunktde »

Offline JohnnyPopper

• Old Goof
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2019, 01:24:24 PM »
Where was that manufactured? Overseas? If yes it probably soft recycled steel i.e. formerly Ford and Chevy.

Heat it up (or not) and reef on it, show it who's the boss!
1957 Apache 3100 235 Inline 6, 3 on the tree
1973 C-20, 3+3 454 4BBL TH400  Water Injection
1978 K-10, 350 4BBL TH350 NP203 M.M. Part time Kit/Hubs
1980 C-10 under construction

Offline andipunktde

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2020, 11:39:31 AM »
Yes, its some Taiwanese replica.

But its not bent, the dimensions are like that, its the construction that gives it the shape. It cant be assembled in any other way due to its bushings and such.

And thats what I'm wondering about the original handle as well.
it doesnt look bent, I cant figure out where to put force on to have it back straight, its super thick 70s US steel  ;D

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2020, 06:21:23 PM »
Exchange it for a new one or buy a better quality one.  If not, square it up yourself.
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

Offline JohnnyPopper

• Old Goof
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2020, 11:26:48 PM »
Well ol pal, it's a long sad story, but for those of us who lived through it, it still hurts!

After decades of world domination in all things automotive, the Big 3 auto makers found themselves in a pickle that would/did not end well.

Seems that the thing that made all their toys GO, gasoline, was increasingly under the control of other world players.

Their guzzling monsters, unapologetically belching Noxious brown filth came under the scrutiny of Big Gov, and their days of unfettered vainglorious products were numbered.

What does that have to do with your crooked crank? Just another sign of what came to be a culture of not caring, going along to get along, nursing a grudge that someone would dare urinate in their Cheerios.

Look at the firewall of our beloved Square Body Truck! The worst example of design and workmanship in a modern automobiles! Dents, dripping sealant, irregular surfaces, schmeared together in a demoralized work place, as the walls closed in.

All of this verbosity can be summarized in one short phrase: They didn't care how it went out, it was someone else's problem.

Now it's your problem, but, you can take pride it making it right, if you wish. You can show yourself that you care, and no one is going to stop you! Take the bold step and make it happen!

Slot the pins, bend the tangs, heat it up, bang on it, reef it with vice and a crow bar for Gods sake but make it SQUARE!

then please post pics, we will eternally grateful, and YOU will be the first in class to make what should have been a good thing...CORRECT.

Offline Shifty

• I bleed Bowtie red...
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2020, 09:14:34 AM »
Nicely summed-up Johnny!  I try to explain this to customers (I've been sell parts wholesale since the early 80's, and have witnessed the fall of big, quality manufacturers left, right, and center), but it seems to fall on deaf ears. 
87 V20 Standard Cab Longbed (current)

87 R30 3+3 Longbed (days of yore)

98 C2500 ext cab longbed

Offline JohnnyPopper

• Old Goof
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2020, 04:06:07 PM »
Ain't it the truth Brother!

Offline DanMcG

• Registered Users
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2020, 05:42:57 AM »
Exchange it for a new one or buy a better quality one.  If not, square it up yourself.

I just looked at pic's of 11 tailgates on market place and 10 were straight, and one about half as bad as your original. I'd also say, try another source.

Offline andipunktde

« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2020, 02:07:13 PM »
I already dismantled the handle and tried to bend, bang and stretch it. It already looks better than before, and yes, I'll post some pics when I'm done with it.

Getting one from another source, new replica or un-bend original handle aint that easy for me, since I'm located in Germany. :-)

Offline andipunktde

« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2020, 12:39:03 PM »
It looks like I've got it almost back straight again.

Main issue was, that the three foot were not plain/aligned to the surface.
When having the 2-foot side levelled to an underground, the opposite side stood up. (see pics below).
So I used a clamp, hammer and rod to get it back aligned again. Not need for heating it up, thats the worst metal ever, you can bend it like its aluminium.

I would say its a massive misconstruction, only having 3 fixation points. When operating the handle, theres lots of force on the side with only one screw, so it bends pretty easily.

Although its not really centered in the opening.
And its got lot of free travel, ...so I guess it will clang pretty much while driving. Is that supposed to be normal?
I dont see where to limit the travel of the handle or linkage...?!