Author Topic: 4l80e swap questions  (Read 9242 times)

Offline Captkaos

• OWNER and Administrator
  • Administrator
    • http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com
Re: 4l80e swap questions
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2015, 10:51:34 PM »
I am a little lost here on what you are tying to do.  What engine/trans do you have currently?  454 and?  Is it carb'd
what are you trying to solve with the Dakota gauge setup?  I am a dealer for them and have 2 sets one in my twin turbo LS truck and another going in my LS powered Blazer.
The Twin Turbo truck has a 4L80E in it also, but the LS ECM controls the shifts.  I used the existing trans lines on mine, just had to bend them some to fit.  This was coming from a 700R4 to 4L80E.
The GSS only displays the gear on the column.
IF don't have the proper 4L80E trans bracket, you will have to use a Lokar to shift the truck from PNRDLL..

This is what I did for the trans crossmember on mine:
http://forum.73-87chevytrucks.com/smforum/index.php?topic=12120.msg194642#msg194642

This is the difference in the trans brackets:
http://forum.73-87chevytrucks.com/smforum/index.php?topic=12120.msg209204#msg209204

Offline Funkatation

« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2015, 05:44:43 PM »
Hey Chris, thanks for all your responses, you have been very helpful.

I have a carb 454 with TH400 currently. I am doing the conversion at my friends shop which is 3 hours away and just want to make sure we have all the pieces needed to do the swap when we start so I don't have to wait on things to ship. The Dakota gauges I want to use so I don't need the cable x box, and since my stock gear selector doesn't have the od I figured I'd just cover it up and use the Gss-2000.

Do you know if my stock shift linkage will work or should I get that universal one you linked Or does the th400 use that same bracket as the 4l80e?

Offline Captkaos

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2015, 02:53:26 PM »
The GSS will have to be bought with the Dakota gauges, it won't work alone.  You can find a indicator in the junkyard and sometimes in the classified here.  I don't have a th400 so I cant answer the bracket question.  If you post the pic with the part number on it we can identify it, or you can look in my build thread for the PN to see if it matches.
The Dakota will need a signal from the trans for speed

Offline Funkatation

« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2015, 06:45:21 PM »
Will the transmission controller get that speed signal? I ended up with the pcs simple shift.

Offline Captkaos

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2015, 07:47:00 AM »
The 80E has 2 VSS's one will need to be sent to the Speedo of choice.  I don't know the controller but I would imagine that it would have an output of some kind.

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2015, 10:19:35 AM »
from what i understand the 4l80e does have 2  sensors for the tiss (Transmission input speed) and toss (Transmission output speed). the way the stock pcm works is the vss (toss) goes to the dracs box from there it changes the pulses from 40 pulses to 2k for the ecm, 4k for cruise control and 128k for abs.

but this is from pcs

SPEEDOMETER -This wire is not required for operation of your Simple Shift unit. Its
purpose is to deliver a signal to early, older versions of electronic speedometers. Most
aftermarket speedometers will use the Output Shaft Speed Signal found previously in
these instructions. If your speedometer will not work with the Output Shaft Speed Signal
contact your dealer for technical assistance.

and

OUTPUT SHAFT SPEED SENSOR – This
connector is required for operation of your
Simple Shift unit. For all transmissions that
have an Output Shaft Speed Sensor we
have added a ‘Y’, which allows you to plug
the Simple Shift harness directly into the transmission yet still leave you an access plug
for aftermarket speedometers or factory connectors of some kind that need Output Shaft
Speed Sensor access. See Table 1 and the corresponding Figure for your output shaft
speed sensor connector location

If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline Funkatation

« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2015, 10:48:56 PM »
Which dipstick did you go with?

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2015, 11:06:59 PM »
made my own cause i had to push the trans back 3". but i would get a 4l80e dipstick due to different trans will have different lengths

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline Funkatation

« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2015, 08:01:14 AM »
Lokar makes a few different ones with different lengths, firewall mounted and trans mounted.

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2015, 02:27:29 PM »
afaik lokar only makes one for the 4l80e. on mine i just measured how much of my dipstick sticks out the bottom nipple. then i cut the nipple off and attached a hose to that then i cut the top part off and attached the other end of the hose to that part and mounted it to the firewall