Author Topic: 86 or 87 Gauge Cluster  (Read 5254 times)

Offline Cody the Roady

86 or 87 Gauge Cluster
« on: October 22, 2015, 08:10:31 AM »
The gauge cluster on my 1987 R10 LWB is needing to be replaced. The circuit board is fried, gauges not working, etc. I found a cluster on E-Bay, listed as 1973-1987, used, and in very good condition. I bought it, BUT I did so even after knowing the following: E-Bay has a mechanism that allows you to check if the item for sale will fit your vehicle. The cluster would fit a 1986, but it said it would not fit a 1987. The only thing I could think of was because of the 1987 being the first year for the TBI. I bought it anyway, thinking that E-Bay is full of...they don't know what they're talking about. Am I right to doubt them? It looks exactly like my old one. Somebody put my mind at ease.
America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.

Abraham Lincoln

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
Re: 86 or 87 Gauge Cluster
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2015, 09:10:44 AM »
there is a difference in the 81-87. other older gauges might be maniacal (oil) or different layout. think the only problem with the newer ones is dealing with the electric speedo but this wont be till 89 or so
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline Cody the Roady

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2015, 11:02:04 AM »
Yep, that's kind of what I was thinking. I knew of the differences in the gauge clusters for the earlier years, but for the life of me I could NOT understand why there would be a difference between a 1986 and 1987 cluster. Thank you for the clarification.
America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.

Abraham Lincoln

Offline bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2015, 11:07:34 AM »
For use with TBI, the IP cluster will need to have facility for the VSS optical sensor integrated into the back of the speedometer head.
Rich
It's difficult to know just how much you don't know until you know it.
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!
87 R10 Silverado Fleetside 355 MPFI 700R4 3.42 Locker (aka Rusty, aka Mater)

Offline hatzie

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2015, 08:06:55 PM »
For use with TBI, the IP cluster will need to have facility for the VSS optical sensor integrated into the back of the speedometer head.

82-86 with cruise control has optical VSS on the speedometer as well. 
Are you sure the VSS for the ECM is on the 87 speedometer and not on the transmission like the Jags That Run VSS boxes?

From orbit on my Android.

SVC & wiring mans --> Here http://tinyurl.com/7387BRD-SVCMAN or My Bucket @ http://tinyurl.com/SQ-SVCMAN
Parts & Illustr Books -->http://tinyurl.com/SqParts
GMSTG Textbooks-->http://tinyurl.com/STG-TEXTBK
Radio Manuals-->http://tinyurl.com/DELCORADSVC

Offline DnStClr

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2015, 12:14:19 PM »
As I understand it, the vss optical sensor in the speedometer is connected to the cruise control system. Somehow, thru an LED, it supplies an optical speed signal to a buffer which amplifies the signal and then sends it to the controller, a light green module mounted near the accelerator pedal, that operates the cruise control vacuum servo.  That's just a layman's explanation, but it's the best I can do. :P   
Don
87 Chevy Silverado

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2015, 06:31:08 PM »
Thought the dracs box sends the signal for the cruise ? The dracs box get the vss sensor signal and then breaks that down into other signals abs, speedo, ecm and rwal

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2015, 09:47:02 PM »
Thought the dracs box sends the signal for the cruise ? The dracs box get the vss sensor signal and then breaks that down into other signals abs, speedo, ecm and rwal

In general, the DRAC (Dynamic Ratio Adapter Controller) is post-1988 truck production.  the DRAC receives its input signal from a permanent magnet pulse generator (VSS) mounted on the transmission (2WD) or transfer case (4WD) to register output shaft rotation in pulses per mile.  DRAC output is used by the engine/transmission PCM, air core speedometer, Custom Cruise III and later iterations of cruise control, and the rear wheel anti-lock brakes (RWAL) ECU for vehicle speed reference.  The DRAC approach is virtually all electronic, relying on a stationary pulse generator.

Optical VSS was used on 1988 TBI and prior truck applications to as early as 1982, in conjunction with a vehicle speed buffer module that provided output to the engine ECM and Custom Cruise III module.  Optical VSS is electro-mechanical, relying on a rotating split-window optical reflector in the back of the speedo head that is driven by the speedometer cable.  It was an interim design between full mechanical and full electronic systems.
Rich
It's difficult to know just how much you don't know until you know it.
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!
87 R10 Silverado Fleetside 355 MPFI 700R4 3.42 Locker (aka Rusty, aka Mater)

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2015, 09:54:45 PM »

Thanks bd. Didn't know the dracs started in 88