Author Topic: low brake pedal.  (Read 3068 times)

Offline ncguy89

• My 4x4 Club
low brake pedal.
« on: July 01, 2012, 11:05:06 AM »
ok guys got a problem. i got a 84 swb k10 pickup. when i bought the truck i had a low pedal problem. come to find out the right hand side caliper was froze and the ds was starting to seize up as well.  so i replaced both caliper's.  i bled the front and tried to bleed the rear but the bleeder valves wouldnt budge. im still having the low pedal problem but now when i brake hard the rear brakes will lock up. does anybody have any good suggestions on what this could be. i figured it could be the piston in the master cylinder bypassing fluid or maybe the rod push rod was not adjusted right. all my brake lines are good and none are swelling when i push the brakes. i can only guess its either in the master cylinder or proportioning valve. what do you guys think? any help greatly appreciated!!!!
1987 v20 - 350 tbi with towing cam, hummer wheels, stock otherwise

1984 chevy c-10 shortbed - kidney foundation truck (for my father)

Offline 1979C20

• Kyle Taulton.
Re: low brake pedal.
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2012, 01:53:57 PM »
You need to get your rear brakes bled. Soak the bleeders with pb blaster for a couple dats in a row then see if you can crack them. Start rear right, then rear left, then front right, then front left. Then adjust your rear brakes. Jack the rear up, turn the adjuster in and spin the tire until you hear the brakes touch and the tire starts to drag, then back it out a turn. Do it on both sides and you should be good to go.
1979 SCLB C20 Q-jet 350 SM465 14b F.F. 4.10 G80
1989 GMC Suburban V2500 TBI350 TH400 4in lift 35's 14b SF

Offline bake74

• Build Thread
Re: low brake pedal.
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2012, 06:54:12 PM »
     What you really need to do is go through all your brake system and make sure everything is working properly.  I know you might have wanted a quick fix, but the braking system is a little more complicated than that, and 1 thing affects the other.  So by just fixing 1 item might not fix the problem, even though you had frozen caliper's.
     I am not saying you have to replace everything, I mean make sure everything is in working order and replace only what needs replacing if that is your wish.  Brakes are not a system to take lightly in our trucks.
#1: The easiest and most obvious solution to any problem is 99% of the time correct.
#2: There is no such thing as impossible, it just takes longer.
  74 k10, 77k10    Tom