Author Topic: wire melted replace or repair  (Read 2042 times)

Offline 1979SIERRAGRANDE

wire melted replace or repair
« on: July 01, 2017, 08:29:06 PM »
hey all hope everyone is having a good weekend i have been wiring a aftermarket radio as well as cleaning up under my dash its a rats nest of wires in there lots of cuts and splices into the original harnesses for the gauge pods each gauge pod has a ground for their light and was previously being grounded by being pressed under a u nut clip grounded by the dash its self so i had the bright idea of grounded them all to the volt meter negative post and that gauge was being grounded to the steering column   bolt so i turn the truck on and smell a wire burning i took the positive post off and look over to the junction block to see a fusible link burnt and a 10 gauge red wire melted i trace the wire back to steering column is it best to try and pull the wire from the bulk head and replace the wire because even inside the cab it is a little melted glad it had a fusible link truck wasn't even on 10 secs before i turned it off maybe too much resistance or bad call on my part any ideas if these are factory  joints.first pic circled is ground i made sure it was the positive end.second picture is the melted wire spliced or something to another wire both lead up to the connector on top of steering column. third is the positive end of the volt meter spliced to a pink wire that runs to the top of the steering column and behind the fuse box. i would appreciated some input the truck is my daily driver currently does not run. would replacing the wire that melted solve all my issues or did i blow anything else?

Offline Captkaos

• OWNER and Administrator
  • Administrator
    • http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com
Re: wire melted replace or repair
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2017, 08:20:48 PM »
Based on my understanding of your post you have some wires crossed.

Offline 1979SIERRAGRANDE

Re: wire melted replace or repair
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2017, 11:09:14 PM »
its fixed.