Author Topic: Cab leaking :(  (Read 21877 times)

Offline jaredts

Re: Cab leaking :(
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2010, 08:53:17 PM »
Dude check under the cowl panel as soon as you can.  There's seam sealer on a seam there at the top of your firewall that is known for leaking.  It can also rust away the top of the firewall and its not an easy place to get into and fix.

Offline K20Wulf

« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2010, 01:04:15 AM »
Dude check under the cowl panel as soon as you can.  There's seam sealer on a seam there at the top of your firewall that is known for leaking.  It can also rust away the top of the firewall and its not an easy place to get into and fix.

I'm going to pull the cowl tomorrow. Hopefully there won't be any rain.
86 K20 4x4
7" lift, 35's
350/400/208

Offline frito-bandito

• Registered Users
  • Hillbilly Deluxe
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2010, 08:37:40 PM »

I'm going to pull the cowl tomorrow. Hopefully there won't be any rain.

So... what'd you find out?
1981 Chevy dually 350 4spd. (One piece at a time)
1994 GMC C1500 4.3L 4L60E. (340K Daily Driver/Resto-Mod)
1998 GMC C1500 5.0L 4L60E (179K Daily Driver)

Offline K20Wulf

« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2010, 11:08:27 PM »
Sorry, it's was raining the next day and I haven't pulled the cowl yet. I'm pretty sure it's the hood to cowl seal that is bad.
86 K20 4x4
7" lift, 35's
350/400/208

Offline birdy411

« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2010, 12:54:52 PM »
I didn't read above so I don't know if someone else suggested this or not...

Make sure your heater hoses are backed off the heater core a little. You don't want them jammed up into the cab, and make sure that those clamps are super tight.
1978 Chevy K10 Scottsdale
1979 Chevy K10 Custom Deluxe
1980 Chevy K20 Scottsdale (Parts)
1978 Chevy C10 Silverado (Parts)

Offline Toms88

• New Users
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2010, 09:31:05 PM »
look around the window rubber where the A piler meets the cowl. is a problem also. mine stared leeking there i just remove dash pad and used water hose on the out side ran water down corner and found leek so used compressed air to dry and used windsheid glue (the black stuff they us to install windsheids) stoped leek

Offline K20Wulf

« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2011, 02:12:48 AM »
Reviving this one after a long time.

I finally found out where the leak is and it's not good. At the top of the firewall inside the cab there are spots where it's slightly rusted through. Enough to let the water trickle in. Looking into the cowl area from under the hood I can see there is a lot of rust. What would be the best way to fix this? Cut out all the bad metal and weld new in its place? If so, this is not a job I can do. Anyone have the slightest idea what it would cost? Is cab replacement a cheaper option?  ???
86 K20 4x4
7" lift, 35's
350/400/208

Offline GUITAR1989

• Registered Users
    • What I've done to my truck so far :)
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2011, 03:10:37 AM »
Hmm well u definitaly want to stop that rust. . If it isnt to bad maybe you could just get some anti rust paint like POR15 and prep the metal and seal it so no further rust damage can occour then use some kind of body filler to fill in the holes and paint over it. Ive never dealt with wicked rust so u may not wanna go that rought. might be better to have it cut out and have new sheet metal welded in.

also man that big air vent hole where the panel is missing will let water in. I was actually just cleaning my cowel out today and found out i can stick my arm down the passenger side of the cowel and put my hand right through the hole in the cab where that panel goes. when i sprayed water in the cowel I cound see it just running into my cab through that hole. Im gonna be sealing that sucker with some silacone when the rain lets up :P
you might wanna put some saran wrap over it and tape it closed until u can get the panel.

Hope this helps you :)

Offline jaredts

« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2011, 07:05:09 AM »
At that point cab replacement might be best, although it could be fixed.  This is a big project.  I don't know how bad the rust is, but you could buy some time by wire brushing and treating with rust stopping paint/primer and putting seam sealer over it from the cowl access holes.  If you get the seam sealer on there beyond the rusted areas to form a seal so no more water gets in it might last a little while.  I can't say for sure without seeing it.  Maybe someone else has some pictures of a repair of this area.  Mine had a couple 1/4" or so holes and for now the method above has kept mine water tight.

Offline K20Wulf

« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2011, 01:33:11 PM »
Thanks guys. It's going to be a pita no matter what I do. We're in the middle of rainy season out here, so I'll be lucky to get a dry day to work on it. As far as I can tell it's only leaking in a couple places. I should be able to seal them up as a temp fix. I'm not sure what the sheet metal work would cost, as I would replace as much of the rusted metal as possible. Cab replacement seems like an easier route, but I wonder how much a good junkyard cab would cost.
86 K20 4x4
7" lift, 35's
350/400/208

Offline chevyh20

« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2011, 08:51:33 PM »
i had a blazer with the same problem. It is a big job to do. I completely took apart the dash to avoid fire or damage to sensitive parts with welding. i think it is a cab off repair as that is how i had mine. i can't imagine being able to do it otherwise. Mine started from leaky seam sealer in the cowl. So at least get that cowl sealed so the water will not leak down the firewall and inside your cab.

Offline K20Wulf

« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2011, 11:00:11 PM »
I think I'm going to get a some type of sealer and a wire brush this weekend. Will clean up the area's where it's leaking as much as possible and seal them up. I know it will only be a temp fix, but I can't afford to take the truck to a body shop right now.
86 K20 4x4
7" lift, 35's
350/400/208

Offline bake74

• Build Thread
« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2011, 11:03:12 PM »
     you really can't make out by the pic's you posted, but you said the p.o. ripped all the hoses and vent tubes out.  I would start by looking those area's over and comparing to other trucks or pics you can find.  Sounds like the p.o. started something and never finished.
#1: The easiest and most obvious solution to any problem is 99% of the time correct.
#2: There is no such thing as impossible, it just takes longer.
  74 k10, 77k10    Tom

Offline K20Wulf

« Reply #28 on: January 25, 2011, 04:05:11 AM »
It's fixed. Had to split the repair up between a couple days because of the rain, but it's done and no leaks. Was a pain to get in the cowl to chip out the old sealer and sand and vacuum out all the mess, lol. But it was worth the work. Thank you everyone for your help!  ;D
86 K20 4x4
7" lift, 35's
350/400/208

Offline jaredts

« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2011, 10:38:29 AM »
It's fixed. Had to split the repair up between a couple days because of the rain, but it's done and no leaks. Was a pain to get in the cowl to chip out the old sealer and sand and vacuum out all the mess, lol. But it was worth the work. Thank you everyone for your help!  ;D
I know what you mean.  Those openings are way too small to do a perfect job.  I couldn't get seam sealer all the way to the point that it curves down on mine, but did the best I could.  Mine hasn't leaked yet.