Author Topic: What's the trick to mount tires?  (Read 11988 times)

Offline Lt.Del

• Andy aka:SgtDel
  • DelbridgePhotography.com
    • www.delbridge.net
What's the trick to mount tires?
« on: July 24, 2010, 02:14:56 PM »
I am a do-it-yourselfer.  Escpecially when it comes to brand new aluminum wheels, I don't want some 18 year old mechanic expiramenting with a heavy machine to "bend" my wheels when mounting tires to them.

So, with a little dishwashing liquid (Dawn) to lube it up, I put the tires on.  Now, the question, What is the secret to seal the tire on the wheel to inflate it?  I have 265 75 16 tires on 16x8 AR Outlaw II rims.  The size should be fine.  My air compressor is not an industrial one by any stretch of the imagination.  

The tire seems too skinny but i hope it is just because I can't inflate it any to make a bead yet.  

Any tricks?  Or just a more powerful compressor?

Offline 1HI4x4

• Registered Users
  • V30 Crew now a shortbed.....
Re: What's the trick to mount tires?
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2010, 03:03:31 PM »
A ratchet strap around the tread of the tire should squash it enough to seal. It works for me anyhow, be sure to release the strap as soon as the tire starts taking air, or you won't be able to get it loose.
1988 V30 Crew Cab, Cummins power, 47RH-NP205, 8" lift, 13.50x35x20 Fuel Mudders on 20x14 XD Diesels -76 offset. Soon to be repainted, seats from a 2010 Lariat to be installed.

Offline fitz

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2010, 03:07:25 PM »
Nice rims.
So all you have to do is set the bead correct? My air hose from the compressor has a quick disconnect on it. I remove the valve from the valve stem, pull back the
collar on the quick connect, and stick it on the valve stem. The burst of air will set the bead. Once you hear it pop, remove the air hose, install the valve, and inflate the tire.
I'm sure this method is not OSHA approved, but it works great.
I've seen video of guys spraying starting fluid in the tire and lighting a match to it, this seems like an accident waiting to happen.  

Offline bgctrading

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2010, 03:54:23 PM »
You can buy a bead seating tool "cheetah"is the brand I see most people use they are pricey but work great and are the safest method. I used the ratchet strap method for years till one day I popped an atv tire up on the beads went to release it and as I hit the lever it popped up and the gears on the ratchet left two 3 inch gouges in my wrist and a trip to the ER.

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2010, 04:55:29 PM »
Andy lol its easy and I know you have all the tools
And iv done it spray a couple small squirts of starting fluid in the tire and rim hit it with a torch and the fire will expand the tire causing it to seal
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline 78 Chevyrado

• Z62 ON-ROAD
  • Site Supporters
    • My Photobucket Site
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2010, 04:59:46 PM »
Pull out the shrader core and use a rubber tip air gun to inflate it.   without the core in it the air can get into the tire much much faster, and hopefully seat the bead.  if that doesnt work, wrap a ratchet strap aroud the tread of the tire and squash it some, this will spread the sidewalls outward.

Good luck!
Kenny

1978 C-20, 350/400, 3.73, Graystone Metallic, Raceline Renegade 8 Wheels - 18x8.5, 275/70R18 BFG KO's

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2010, 05:04:28 PM »
A tire machine is designed to protect the wheel from any damage. You would have to be a moron to ruin one of those wheels on the machine. I woulda just paid someone $10 bucks to mount them on there for you but as others have said, just remove the valve core lay the wheel on something so there's no pressure on the tire. Try to seal the bead area by gently lifting upward on the tire as you fill it.
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠¯¯¯¯¯'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline Layne

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2010, 08:58:43 PM »

I've seen video of guys spraying starting fluid in the tire and lighting a match to it, this seems like an accident waiting to happen.  
Blew out a newer bfg for my s-10 doing that. Wasn't happy
77 c-10 - 77 400 86 700r4 "Emmy"
83 citation - 2.5L Four on the Floor!
88 sierra - reman 350 700r4 "Eleanor"
All normal practicality and rational money handling goes out of the window when it comes to my truck.

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2010, 11:15:25 PM »
how much fluid did you use?

Offline three8six

• Frequent Member
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2010, 02:13:26 AM »
I too have done the lighter fluid trick atleast 12 times but never on anythings that was mine, or daily driven hahah.

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2010, 02:57:48 AM »
never used lighter fluid before

Offline Layne

« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2010, 03:27:09 AM »
how much fluid did you use?
My dad and I did it when I was younger, probably a ton lol
77 c-10 - 77 400 86 700r4 "Emmy"
83 citation - 2.5L Four on the Floor!
88 sierra - reman 350 700r4 "Eleanor"
All normal practicality and rational money handling goes out of the window when it comes to my truck.

Offline Canadian 4X4

• Frequent Member
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2010, 12:14:21 PM »
when we do semi tires we just take the core out and hook the hose right on the valve stem with out using any attachment then once you get it to seat quickly pull the hose off and put the core in. or if that wont work we have an old propane tank with a valve on the side and a spout on the top and just fill the tank with 100 psi of air put some ear plugs in and aim that blast of air right at the bead and it will fill the tire with real quick burst of air and almost instantly be seated. Its extremely loud though ear plugs are definitely a necessity.

Offline Stewart G Griffin

« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2010, 10:09:18 PM »
Sgt:

You could try the ratchet strap/rope around the tire(doesn't always work) or even the compressed air blast method(which i don't like).  i especially don't like the torch method.

What i've used is something known as a tire donut.  Here's a link:

http://www.ribetproducts.com/home.php?cat=85

It's pretty neat---it creats a seal between the rim and tire bead and as the tire inflates and pressure goes up, the donut simply pops out.

i prefer doing it myself too when it comes to tires.

wow---didn't notice the date.  Oh well, still useful info.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2010, 10:13:04 PM by Stewart G Griffin »