Author Topic: 6.2 diesel to gas swap  (Read 40790 times)

Offline sphnyx991

6.2 diesel to gas swap
« on: August 16, 2010, 10:05:34 PM »
hi iam new here, i just picked up an 1984 k20 with a blown 6.2 diesel in it, i want to pull it out and swap in a small block or big block, havnt decided yet but was wondering if any of you guys have done this swap before? i was wondering what i would need to change as far as the fuel system, motor mounts, electrical, would i need a new powersteering pump or would the diesel one work? it has a sm465 tranny also. any info you guys could give would be greatly apreciated. thanks

Offline TexasRed

Re: 6.2 diesel to gas swap
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2010, 01:01:51 AM »
What are your plans and budget? What do you mean by blown? Is it rebuildable? If everything else is good, you might want to see about fixing the motor. No, it's no powerhouse (especially now) but if it's a daily driver, you might like that diesel, plus it'll get you on the road a lot quicker than trying to figure out every nut and bolt ya need to swap it. I take that back looking at the price at NorthernAutoParts for the kit:

http://northernautoparts.com/ProductDetail.cfm?ProductId=609

Offline sphnyx991

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2010, 04:21:01 AM »
i plan on driving it alot but not as a daily driver, it will also be used for light towing and a weekend wheeler, it also has a gear vendors overdrive installed so that will help my mpgs if i decide to use it as a daily driver. the diesel still runs but it knocks and sounds like a rod is going to come shooting through the oil pan at any second.. it has an aftermarket turbo install also so iam hoping to sell that and recoup a couple bucks. i already considered rebuilding or even buying a rebuilt diesel but i could build a nice gas motor for the cost of fixing the diesel. as far as the budget goes i would like to try and keep the total cost of the swap around $4000. any other info would be apreciated, thanks

Offline Blazin

• Blazin new trails!
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2010, 05:37:07 AM »
" The diesel still runs but it knocks and sounds like a rod is going to come shooting through the oil pan at any second.. "
In other words it sounds like every other 6.2 out there!  ;D
I have a 6.2 in one of my parts trucks, it has great oil pressure, and it runs great, but thats what it sounds like too.
Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs

Offline Laderhosen

• Frequent Member
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2010, 09:33:12 AM »
I love the sound of 6.2’s.... maybe I’m just wierd!!  ;D
'82 3/4 ton, 350, th400,
'88 K5 Blazer, 350, 700R4
’98 BMW 328i daily drive
’91 VW Golf Mk 2 with VR6 conv

Offline derrick79

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2010, 11:19:53 AM »
when i was younger my dad did this swap in one of his old 80's chevs. it was a 83 3/4 ton 2wd. same thing as you, he could rebuild the diesel but for the amount of money it costs it wasnt worth it. he bought a parts truck for like 300 bucks with a 350 that ran smoothly. if i remember correctly all he had to change was the wiring harness, the fuel lines and the fuel tank. there might be some other things too but i cant remember. if you go with a smallblock it should be a fairly straight forward swap. if you go with a big block you will have to change motor mounts and all tha jazz. personally i would go with a smallblock. to me they just seem so much more reliable. that 350 my dad swapped in place of the diesel, he stroked and bored it and put a nice and cam in it and that thing made insane power for what it was. thats just my opinion.

Offline Edahall

• Frequent Member
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2010, 12:54:28 PM »
i plan on driving it alot but not as a daily driver, it will also be used for light towing and a weekend wheeler, it also has a gear vendors overdrive installed so that will help my mpgs if i decide to use it as a daily driver. the diesel still runs but it knocks and sounds like a rod is going to come shooting through the oil pan at any second.. it has an aftermarket turbo install also so iam hoping to sell that and recoup a couple bucks. i already considered rebuilding or even buying a rebuilt diesel but i could build a nice gas motor for the cost of fixing the diesel. as far as the budget goes i would like to try and keep the total cost of the swap around $4000. any other info would be apreciated, thanks

Your $4000 budget is enough money to stick in a brand new 6.5L diesel or a remanufactured engine.  You can even get a brand new short block for $1400.  Take a look at this site.
http://www.6-5liter.com/ck_pickups-suburban.html

The advantages are good fuel economy 20 mpg or more, more power than a 350 with the turbo you've got.  Power would be more comparable to a stock 454.  If you've got an Automatic, you won't have to worry about having to replace the torque converter with the gas type nor mess around with the valve body to alter the shift points.

If your turbo is a Banks and is in good condition, it would be worth between $600-800 on the used market.  They really wake up the 6.2 / 6.5L diesels.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2010, 12:58:12 PM by Edahall »
1990 ¾ ton 4x4 Chevy Suburban
-Cummins Diesel - 12 valve - factory rebuilt
-6 speed bullet proof manual transmission - NV5600
-Gear Vendors Overdrive
-Upgraded Holset HX-35 turbo
-NP205 iron transfer case
-3.73 gears
-2" Lift

Offline TexasRed

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2010, 02:59:05 PM »
If you're taking some steep stuff offroad, you might want that diesel cuz it's got injection. I think your best bet for a swap would be to find a parts truck with everything.

Offline Captkaos

• OWNER and Administrator
  • Administrator
    • http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2010, 03:13:00 PM »
I have to agree with Edahall, for what you are wanting the diesel will give you enough power and alot beter gas mileage on a 4x4.  You can get 25mpg out of a 4x4 with a diesel.

Offline Edahall

• Frequent Member
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2010, 05:11:02 PM »
Also, keep your 84 heads for good fuel economy like in the mid 20's.  Those heads are good for around 200 hp with the turbo.  The newer heads will give more power 240 hp or more but fuel economy will be around 20 mpg or less.  Should you decide to stay with the diesel, feel free to let me know and I can give you or point you to some excellent information with regards to that engine.
1990 ¾ ton 4x4 Chevy Suburban
-Cummins Diesel - 12 valve - factory rebuilt
-6 speed bullet proof manual transmission - NV5600
-Gear Vendors Overdrive
-Upgraded Holset HX-35 turbo
-NP205 iron transfer case
-3.73 gears
-2" Lift

Offline sphnyx991

« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2010, 07:26:22 PM »
thanks for the info. i was wondering if any of you know if the bell housing between the diesel block and small block are the same?

Offline Captkaos

• OWNER and Administrator
  • Administrator
    • http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2010, 04:20:47 PM »
6.2L is identical.