Author Topic: Glow plug harness help!  (Read 1789 times)

Offline Artezio

Glow plug harness help!
« on: November 23, 2017, 03:52:05 PM »
Ok so I’m in dire need of a glow plug harness for my 83 6.2 (block is a 1992 but still has all the 83 electrical). My controller has gone bad relay is fine and finally I have a bad glow plug harness, controller is no prob but I cannot for the life of me seem to find a new glow plug harness for the 6.2 I can find it for the 6.5 but that’s it. Anyone know where to get one? I gotta get the truck going but it’s hard starting with a ton of missing because no voltage is getting to a couple glow plugs, also all plugs are fine. Any help would be much appreciated!!

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
Re: Glow plug harness help!
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2017, 05:53:42 PM »
There's not a lot to that section of harness. Is it melted or something? Why not just fix it?
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠¯¯¯¯¯'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline 1967KaiserM715

• 1985 GMC K1500 w/ 6.5 TD
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2017, 06:59:57 PM »
 There is no aftermarket harness, and it is nla for an OEM harness. You may get lucky on ebay or something, but it would be better to just piece together a new harness. The whole harnnes is mostly fusible link wire, on a short section is regular automotive wire.

You'll likely need 10 ft of 18 gauge fusible link, 2-3 ft of 12 gauge fusible link, and a couple feet of 10 gauge automotive wire.

Sent from my SM-S920L using Tapatalk

Current Vehicles:1985 GMC K10(Daily) 1991 GMC K2500(Daily) 1975 Beetle(not running) 1985 Mercedes 300D(not running) 1952 M35    1967 M715(not running)
 1986 Chevy K30(under repair)

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2017, 07:49:09 AM »
1982---84 Models
The Glow Plug Control System - Consists of a thermal controller, a glow plug relay, 6 volt glow plugs and a glow plug warning lamp.

The Thermal Controller - Mounted in the water passage at the rear of the engine controls glow plug operation using thermostatic elements within the controller which open or close the ground circuit to the glow plug relay as necessary.

The Glow Plug Relay - Located on the left inner fender panel, provides current to the glow plugs as long as the thermal controller completes the ground circuit.

The 6 Volt Glow Plugs--Used in This 12 Volt System - Are pulsed ON and OFF by the glow plug relay in response to messages received by the controller to prevent damage to the glow plugs.

The Glow Plug Warning Lamp - Mounted in the instrument cluster, and wired across the glow plugs, illuminateds whenever the glow plugs are heating.

Cold Starting
Initially, during cold starting, the glow plugs are activated continuously for 71/2---9 seconds at 0°F.

Engine Warm-up
The glow plugs then pulse on and off at a rate determined by the thermal characteristics of the controller, to provide stable engine warm-up.

As the engine warms up the controller turns off all current to the relay, de-energizing the glow plugs.

In Addition
The controller is capable of varying glow plug operation as needed to allow proper operation during cold starting when little or no heating is required.

In the Event of Controller Failure
A circuit breaker within the controller opens and current to the glow plugs is cut off in the event of controller failure--as in the case of prolonged preheat.
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠¯¯¯¯¯'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10