Author Topic: Brake lights 85 K20  (Read 1541 times)

Offline silverchev08@gmail.com

• GMC K20
Brake lights 85 K20
« on: January 11, 2019, 08:43:54 PM »
Well I have an Issue where the cruise wiring was removed along with the brake switch. Fortunately I have the wiring and just need to figure out how to reinstall it. Not going with the two stage switch since it no longer has cruise control. Purchased a single stage switch from autozone and plan to put that in. Now just to wire it up. using original clip. coming off of it is a blue and a brown.. now what? brown ties in with a bulb assembly and the blue ties in with a firewall grommet with two other wires (light green/blue w/black stripe). those two wires come from a Pack-con clip that has two white wires/brown/lime green w/orange clip. 

I assume I only need to use the two wires coming off the brake switch clip?

Online bd

• Global Moderator
Re: Brake lights 85 K20
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2019, 11:40:33 PM »
To help you sort things out, here's the factory Custom Cruise III wiring diagram for reference to the cruise control wire colors and routing...

The cruise control wiring is independent of the stop lamp wiring.

The stop lamp switch (not pictured in the diagram above) has only two connecting wires: orange and white.  Orange is fused B+ supplying power to the brake switch.  White carries stop lamp power from the brake switch to the turn signal switch.  Power divides through the turn signal switch then runs to the rear lamps via yellow (left turn/stop) and green (right turn/stop).  Assuming that I understand your question and you are completely eliminating the cruise control, you should be concerned only with the white and orange wires that terminate in a two-terminal plug.
Rich
It's difficult to know just how much you don't know until you know it.
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!
87 R10 Silverado Fleetside 355 MPFI 700R4 3.42 Locker (aka Rusty, aka Mater)