Author Topic: New bedside  (Read 15463 times)

Offline thirsty

• Suitor's Garage
Re: New bedside
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2011, 06:26:50 AM »
Yeah, I'll have to remove more than that. If I repair it I will need to replace the rear corner anyway so I would have it opened right up but it looks like it will be a tough piece to make behind the lights.

Somebody else must have had to repair this area also??

Real trucks are built, not bought Build thread

Give me a long enough lever and a place to stand, and I shall move the earth or break this bolt...Whatever, just hold my beer!

Offline Cabcorner

• Registered Users
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2011, 05:44:26 AM »
Hey Thirsty what do you have to loose ? If you are patient and determined, you can do this . Remember almost none of the inner post taillight area will  be seen , I overlapped the welds on mine.

Offline 1979C20

• Kyle Taulton.
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2011, 10:32:13 AM »
You could always cut the entire corner off a decent bed, or a crappy bed with a decent corner, and weld it to your truck.
1979 SCLB C20 Q-jet 350 SM465 14b F.F. 4.10 G80
1989 GMC Suburban V2500 TBI350 TH400 4in lift 35's 14b SF

Offline 80stepsideguy

« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2011, 01:16:01 PM »
If you got the complete bedside i say replace it , it doesnt take a whole lot of work to remove the old side n replace it with a new 1.Plus i see on the drivers side behind the tire its a little rusted, that you can cut and take a replacement panel n cut what you need n weld it in.

thanks
pat
1980 Chevy c10 restomod:  350/700r4 12 bolt 3.73 rearend iris blue metallic
1998 Chevy 1500 S/B 2wd
1970 cougar convertible: triple white 1 of 1
2014 Hyundai Tucson Limited(my daily driver)
2023 Kia Sportage X Pro (her daily driver).
2017 Hyundai Tucson Limited(her everyday driver).

Offline rainman15

• Registered Users
  • Steve
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2011, 07:41:19 PM »
I bought a complete fleetside drivers side panel and it came complete with wheel well and inner bed panel.  Simple bolt on, one minor weld near the back of the bed.  Cost about $700 shipped, but worth every penny.  I still have the over the arch, front lower and rear lower patch panels that I bought but didn't use if anyone is interested in them.  I'm not selling, I'll give them away if you'll pay shipping just to make sure they don't go to waste. 
84 GMC High Sierra 4x4 shortbed
09 GMC Sierra SLT
09 Mercedes Benz C-350
60 Chevrolet Impala

Offline thirsty

• Suitor's Garage
« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2011, 09:27:03 AM »
I really want to just order up 2 new bedsides but that would really set me back on the truck budget bad. Before I do that I am looking into another option. I talked to a bodyman that I deal with about cutting down some new 8' sides that I might be able to pick up very reasonable. Of course he said new 6' sides would be the way to go, but thought that modifying the 8' sides would be easier than patch panels and fabricating new braces in the rear. I am doing the bodywork in my shop and plan on painting it myself also but I would need his help and tools for this. If this way works out my cost would be $300 for both sides, fuel to drive 100 miles to pick them up, and some pizza and beer for the guidance from a life long bodyman.

Give me a long enough lever and a place to stand, and I shall move the earth or break this bolt...Whatever, just hold my beer!

Offline big bear

« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2011, 11:55:32 AM »
always so many choices lol   id either cut mine up and patch it, or just save for 6ft sides.   im not saying that doing the 8ft sides and cutting them down ect arent a awesome project and give us something to talk about haha . id just go the other route. either way, good luck man.

Offline thirsty

• Suitor's Garage
« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2011, 02:15:52 PM »
Grrrr...As of right now those 8' sides are not available.
I hoping to save some coin so my paint supplies would come easier.

Earlier my daughter came to the garage for an oil change. She was looking at the truck and we were talking about it. I told her about probably not getting the bedsides I was looking into and how I was excited to have new steel instead of patch panels then explained that the paint I chose was going to be pricey. We talked about maybe making the paint less expensive and the options with the bed sheetmetal. After a while she throws down a rag and says "Daddy!, As long as you have waited to get your truck done! Don't sacrafice anything to save money or time. Hold out for new parts and the paint that you want...both." I think she must have been talking to big bear or something. haha

Now I'm off to mow a 3 acre lawn and think about this.

Offline big bear

« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2011, 04:04:14 PM »
hahaha  great minds do think a like.

Offline Bitzer!

• Smiles per gallon
« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2011, 03:16:13 AM »
"Daddy!, As long as you have waited to get your truck done! Don't sacrafice anything to save money or time.

I'm with your daughter on this! If it's worth doing > it's worth doing properly!

Of course there are areas you can short cut and it wont make a difference but to keep the rigidity it's gota be right  ;)
1979 GMC CrewCab  C20 1t
454 750 Holley,TH350, 14bolt diff fully floating
Why aren't there 8 days in a week!
A K5 rolling shell *new addition*

Offline Cabcorner

• Registered Users
« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2011, 06:51:30 PM »
    Hey Thirsty if you are not happy patching your bed you're probably not gonna be happy with aftermarket bedsides ,besides $700 can buy you a whole southern bed.
http://buffalo.craigslist.org/pts/2483558025.html