Author Topic: Clutch Pedal Return Spring Install  (Read 1216 times)

Offline nsml97

Clutch Pedal Return Spring Install
« on: October 28, 2021, 02:32:22 PM »
I have a new clutch pedal return spring on the way.  Any tips on installation?  Given how heavy the spring is and the way you have to twist and turn to get under the dash it looks like it's going to be a bear to put the tension on it and connect it.  Any tricks?

Offline MIKE S

• Registered Users
Re: Clutch Pedal Return Spring Install
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2021, 10:56:28 PM »
Really pretty easy. First disconnect the pedal rod that goes through the firewall.  The clutch pedal is bolted to the upper swing arm. Unbolt the pedal from the swing arm and the arm will swing towards the dash making the attachment points of the spring close together. You can then slip the spring on to the anchors with no effort. Then push the upper pivot towards the firewall and reattach the pedal to the pivot

Offline nsml97

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2021, 12:36:52 PM »
Thanks for the detailed procedure!  Sounds pretty simple.

Offline nsml97

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2021, 09:30:21 AM »
Did this project this morning. Pretty easy just like I was told with one exception. I was changing the spring because the pedal wasn’t returning properly. When I got the new one the difference was very clear. The correct spring is about 10 times lighter than what was installed in there. That’s why when I was looking at it I had the perception this spring was going to be so difficult to install. It’s amazing the difference with the correct parts.  ::)

Offline MIKE S

• Registered Users
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2021, 12:47:09 PM »
One thing you have to remember is that by design it is an over center spring. It is not only for quick return but it also helps pull the pedal down for easy clutch disengagement. The number one wear point that affects clutch pedal feel is the swing pivot bushings and sleeve.