Author Topic: LS Swap Oil pressure gauge is pegged out!!!  (Read 6100 times)

Offline dads83k10

LS Swap Oil pressure gauge is pegged out!!!
« on: April 20, 2015, 09:23:17 PM »
I am nearing the end of a very long LS Swap, and I have encountered the most troublesome issue to date. I have the instrument cluster from a donor 91 suburban installed and wired up. Everything is working except for the oil pressure gauge which pegs out as soon as I turn the switch on. I have installed  a new  oil sending unit for a 83 k10(the model truck that I have) , checked the wire for continuity, checked the printed circuit board  and I believe that I have checked all of the ground wires with no luck.

Has anyone ever ran into a similar issue to this? Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Offline Takilma

• Newbie-
Re: LS Swap Oil pressure gauge is pegged out!!!
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2015, 09:38:52 PM »
I have an '84 K30, the oil pressure gauge is always pegging to the farthest right, I replaced the sender and it read normally for a few months then went back to pegging again. Either (2) senders are bad...or the gauge itself (or wiring to it) is the culprit. I'm not real impressed with GMs electrical in the 80s, so I haven't bothered to troubleshoot any further, instead I keep promising myself that I'll install a good quality mechanical gauge and I will actually be able to see what's going on pressure wise. I think the stock gauge is basically an "oil light" for all practical purposes...

Offline dads83k10

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2015, 09:10:13 AM »
Thanks,
I grounded out the oil sensor wire only to find that my gauge wasn't the problem( it went to 0). Another trip to the local parts store confirmed that the sensor I had bought just one day before was absolutely garbage. Only annoying because of the time I wasted second guessing my wiring and instrument cluster install.

Offline frotosride

• WFO CONCEPTS
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2015, 09:10:22 PM »
I feel your pain. I had a Post where I went through two bad knock sensors in a row and the backfiring destroyed 2 sets of plugs. Wedding through the symptoms to figure out which is the problem sucks. I ended up trashing the BDW sensors and shelling out the dough for the Acdelco.
"Beat it like a red-headed ford"
1987 v10 Silverado(LQ4), 87 R10,83 K20, 83 cucv 6.2 Detroit
2006 Boulevard M109R 109 cid,2019 M109R BOSS
2009 Jeep XK, (future LS Swap)
GSXR 750 engine awaiting go kart

Offline dads83k10

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2015, 05:27:29 AM »
Funny that you say BWD. That is exactly the brand that the local parts store had. I guess i should have just waited on the Delco part.

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2015, 05:44:47 AM »
i know when i get "sensitive" parts i try to go to the dealer for AC. even on my impala the only reason i got my plug wires from autozone is cause they started to carry AC. paid twice the amount for a Crank position sensor at the dealer cause the parts stores didnt have AC
« Last Edit: April 23, 2015, 11:26:56 PM by Irish_Alley »
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline dads83k10

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2015, 10:19:14 AM »
I'm the same way. I replaced everything on the front of the engine with  Delco parts, but I let myself get in a hurry on Saturday and it cost me several hours. Oh well you live and you learn..

Offline Captkaos

• OWNER and Administrator
  • Administrator
    • http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2015, 11:11:13 AM »
If you are running the 91 Cluster make sure the sensor for the 83 is the same.  Otherwise I would suspect a bad sensor.  Can you hook up a mechanical setup and check it?