Author Topic: Rustproofing  (Read 5189 times)

Offline Jlitz

Rustproofing
« on: January 12, 2014, 01:36:40 PM »
Hello
I purchased a 75 Scotsdale with a fleetside bed and the truck is rust free with 66 k miles on it. It came from out west, and I brought it to Pennsylvania. It never has been rustproofed.
There are no places in the area to take the truck to get this done.
I do a lot of my own work and have a lift available. I decided to attempt to rustproof the truck myself.
Before I start I'm trying to figure out how to get the rustproofing material to the rear inner wheel well area.
Does anyone have any experience with this area and any other areas I may have trouble getting material to.
Thanks

Offline bake74

• Build Thread
Re: Rustproofing
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2014, 05:17:43 PM »
     You have to be careful with this topic.  Rust proofing can help if done right.  If you take it somewhere and they just lift your vehicle and spray, they are not sealing any joints or where they can not spray.
     If you do it yourself and make sure to get everywhere that the moister from the road will get it can help with rust.
     They very best thing you can do even after you do what you can to rust proof the underside is to keep it clean, especially during the winter months.
#1: The easiest and most obvious solution to any problem is 99% of the time correct.
#2: There is no such thing as impossible, it just takes longer.
  74 k10, 77k10    Tom

Offline Engineer

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2014, 07:54:32 PM »
Or better yet buy a junker for the winter roads, and keep the old iron for the summer months.
2002 Chevy 2500HD 4x4 8.1/ZF6sp RC/LB
2001 Chevy 2500HD 4x4 6.0/4L85E EC/SB
1997 Chevy Blazer 4x4
1994 Chevy K-2500 4x4 C6P 5.7/4L80E
1979 Chevy K-30 4x4 4sp 4.10
1977 Chevy K-30 4x4 4sp 4.10 454

Dad of an Eagle Scout, and a Life Scout

Offline Terryr85

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2014, 01:59:01 PM »
I take a soda bottle and pop a little hole in the top and fill it with a waste oil and diesel mixture and spray everything under and in between body panels like once a month in the winter. It makes a meas and I'm sure hippies don't like it but it works
73 K20 RC/LB, D60, 14bolt, 5.3l, NV4500

Offline Jlitz

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2014, 03:10:30 PM »
Thanks
I think I figured out a way to take care of this.
I purchased a undercoating sprayer, Lucas Trans fix, (it is pretty thick and takes about 1/2 a bottle to do the inside of the fenders and quarters), and I used Naptha (drys fast). You may decide to use something else. I tried the Naptha on my paint and it did not affect it. Pour some Lucas into a large cup and  cut it with the Naptha, a ratio of about 60% Lucas and 40% Naptha, stir really well.
Spray it on and into the areas you want to protect.
The Lucas soaks into the cracks and pinchwelds and the Naptha drys very fast causing the Lucas to thicken back up and sticks to the areas shedding off the water and winter chemicals.
I have had this on my truck now for about 3 weeks and we have not had a break from winter or the road salt here in Pa. Our streets are pure white from the road salt and chemicals. the Lucas coating looks like I just put in on yesterday. It just stays shiny, there is no color. I just wash off the salt and dirt with a hose. If it continues to work so well, when the weather breaks I'm going do the inside of the rockers, doors and floor supports.

Offline bake74

• Build Thread
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2014, 06:51:47 PM »
     I am glad it is working so well for you. 

"The Lucas soaks into the cracks and pinchwelds and the Naptha drys very fast causing the Lucas to thicken back up and sticks to the areas shedding off the water and winter chemicals."

This is the most important part in my book.

Give us a update in a couple of months so we know how well it has worked.
#1: The easiest and most obvious solution to any problem is 99% of the time correct.
#2: There is no such thing as impossible, it just takes longer.
  74 k10, 77k10    Tom

Offline 78 Chevyrado

• Z62 ON-ROAD
    • My Photobucket Site
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2014, 07:44:59 PM »
Best Ive found is to check things out often...

Also I have a skinny hose for my shop vac I use to actually stuff down in the fenders and suck out any debris.  I do that every few months, and hose a whole lot of wd-40 down there.  Anywhere I'm worried about rust I keep it sprayed with oil.  no rust yet after seven years of daily driving and about 80k miles.  I go in rain, mud, salty slush, all of it...
Kenny

1978 C-20, 350/400, 3.73, Graystone Metallic, Raceline Renegade 8 Wheels - 18x8.5, 275/70R18 BFG KO's

Offline 6364chryslers

• MoPar Rules !
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2014, 10:53:58 PM »
Here in FL there is no road salt, just a lot of rain six months out of the year and salt air. I use P R O 15 not cheap but it works, inner lower door those places in the cab made to rust. Dont know why they made rockers out of pre rusted metal ?
Also use a rattel can of bed liner in a lot of places. You can thin down P R O 15 and get it in "those" places, but you have to coat it more than once and it sort of works.

I just got a parts 77 C20 for the bed, had it blasted and primed for $225. Going to paint it with Rustoleum do all the body work and paint it with PPG.
Got a friend whos worked as a body man for 50+ years to help. Good thing to I suck at paint and body.

Here in FL you can never rust proof the body enough, dont need to rust proof the frame but the body.

Offline Jlitz

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2014, 07:55:07 AM »
The truck came through the winter really well and the Lucas did not wash off
even on the back of the rear bumper where the snow and the salt collected.
I'm really happy with the results and I'm going to do the complete underside of the truck as soon as school ends up here.