Author Topic: stalling at stops and idle  (Read 5182 times)

Offline frotosride

• WFO CONCEPTS
Re: stalling at stops and idle
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2015, 08:38:52 PM »
http://forum.73-87chevytrucks.com/smforum/index.php?topic=21039.0

Got it!!! Follow this. The first time I did it I didn't have a tach because it wasn't a factory option for my truck but so I did it by sound. I did get a tach soon after and it was spot on. The biggest part is actually the load at idel. I replaced the same things except instead of the intake !ainfold ( no vaccum leaks) I replaced my alternator because of a fluke and thinking it was a voltage drop causing the stall. This will like fix the issue. I'd be blown away if it doesn't. You will need a small torques bit to do the adjust!entire and a drill. You can get the idle screw plug out with a punch to off center it. Maybe even a screen and hammer.

"Beat it like a red-headed ford"
1987 v10 Silverado(LQ4), 87 R10,83 K20, 83 cucv 6.2 Detroit
2006 Boulevard M109R 109 cid,2019 M109R BOSS
2009 Jeep XK, (future LS Swap)
GSXR 750 engine awaiting go kart

Offline 12gaige

« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2015, 05:56:40 AM »
Sorry for the wording. The truck will usually not stall the first cold start of the day for the firt minute. after i leave the neighborhood the truck will stall whenever i stop.

Another piece of information i should let you know is the previous owner i bought the truck from had turned up the idle so it wouldnt stall. It was set somewhere around 2000+ and kept eating u-joints. I had a couple tbi units lying around so i kept swapping between them to fine one that runs better.

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2015, 09:26:50 AM »
Open loop is what the engine runs the engine when cold then it goes into closed when the engine meets certain requirements.
http://forum.73-87chevytrucks.com/smforum/index.php?topic=31489.msg264376#msg264376

As for what's causing it to stall is still a mystery but atleast we are getting somewhere
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline 12gaige

« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2015, 06:58:49 PM »
Yeah i understand what closed and open loop are. I dont understand how the o2 sensor cross counts as soon as it is started but during closed it only reads rich.

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2015, 07:10:17 PM »
If I understand what your saying my take on it is the ecm ignores the od sensor till a certain temp is reached. Then the o2 gives its reading.
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline 12gaige

« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2015, 07:22:22 PM »
Found the problem. The distributor magnets were not strong enough. I changed the ignition modual under the cab, did nothing. Replaced the coil too, did nothing. Then i bit the bullet and went down to the dealership to pick up the new distributor they had in stock, and new cap and rotor. Now the truck never stalls.