Author Topic: SM465 issues  (Read 2279 times)

Offline lefty70

SM465 issues
« on: November 21, 2019, 12:59:24 PM »
So...I’ll keep it short as possible. Bought my truck with a broken top cover. Owner used a bar to shift the forks manually and used as a plow truck. I installed a used cover using the original forks as they had hardly any wear. After installing the cover I verified shifter moved into each gear, or as much as possible, as it wasn’t running. With engine running, in neutral it backs up when clutch released! I can shift into forward gears and it goes into forward motion. There is no neutral, even with the shifter having the normal neutral play side to side. I’ve manually moved the forks around through the shifter hole with no change. It is very possible that this was the original issue. If so, what is it?? I’m out of ideas at the moment. Thanks for any input.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline MIKE S

• Registered Users
Re: SM465 issues
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2019, 01:33:48 PM »
You may have missed a fork into collar. If I remember when I used to work on those you have to put the shift lever half way into reverse when installing the cover.Make sure the sliding reverse gear is also part way. That could have been for a SM420 but I think it was for a SM465

Offline lefty70

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2019, 02:12:23 PM »
You may have missed a fork into collar. If I remember when I used to work on those you have to put the shift lever half way into reverse when installing the cover.Make sure the sliding reverse gear is also part way. That could have been for a SM420 but I think it was for a SM465
Yup, all that was done and hopefully correctly. I’ve had it on and off a few times as the first time the idler had moved a little. This last time it went on smoothly and all gears engaged without running, so I’m pretty sure it was good.

Offline lefty70

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2019, 03:27:41 PM »
Anything else I can look at? Is there a chance one of the gears are messed up? Everything looked good from the top but this is my first Muncie. Thanks in advance

Offline MIKE S

• Registered Users
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2019, 09:02:11 PM »
I would say take the cover back off and disconnect the driveline. Try and turn the output shaft and see if you can tell if something is binding. If there is no bind I’m going to guess that the forks and or shafts are not installed in the c over correctly. You may have a shaft mixed up or installed backwards.

Offline roundhouse

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2019, 06:25:19 AM »
You missed the slot on the gear with the fork

It’s a real pain in the butt to get the top cover back on

The reverse gear has to be slid halfway into reverse , before you install the top cover or the fork will go in wrong

Offline lefty70

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2019, 11:40:57 AM »
You missed the slot on the gear with the fork

It’s a real pain in the butt to get the top cover back on

The reverse gear has to be slid halfway into reverse , before you install the top cover or the fork will go in wrong
Thought I did that, but i was wrong. It slid in Behind the collar. All set now! Thanks for all the replies guys!