Author Topic: What's in your pocket?...  (Read 21895 times)

Offline JAH

• Registered Users
Re: What's in your pocket?...
« Reply #45 on: February 26, 2020, 08:00:39 PM »
This was Buck's February 2020 "Buck of the Month".  It's a 55 with nickel silver bolsters, Granadillo wood scales, and an S30V blade.  The wood is part of the on-going "sustainability" partnership between Buck and Taylor Guitars.

I love my little Buck pocket knives, and just couldn't help myself...

I spent most of my money on Jack Daniel's, Copenhagen, pocket knives, and 4X4 trucks.  The rest I just wasted.

Offline JAH

• Registered Users
« Reply #46 on: March 28, 2020, 01:07:16 AM »
Since I seem to be dancing with myself in this thread, I figured I'd bump it again.

This is a Case "Kickstart Mid-Folding Hunter".  The blade is their "Tru-Sharp" stainless steel (which I've heard is 440).  I think the scales are "Burgundy Kirinite", but can't recall for sure. 

It's an assisted opening model, and reminded me (again) today why it's rarely in my pocket when, upon opening, the blade snagged on my shirt and took a nice chunk out of my thumb.  Nothing like grabbing a fresh pinch of Cope, for the next few days, and feeling like someone just tried to remove your thumb print by touching a soldering iron to it.

For my money, Case has become a bit inconsistent in their quality control.  I seem to remember my Grandpa's knives being much more well-made.  This knife came with a rolled edge and a pretty good deal of side-to-side blade play.  I'm still working on getting the edge where I'm happy with it.  My thumb tells me that we're almost there.

Neither Kirinite nor this particular blade shape even come close to being my usual tastes.  But, this knife is absolutely striking in person.  The pic doesn't do it justice.  When I saw it, I had to have it...

I spent most of my money on Jack Daniel's, Copenhagen, pocket knives, and 4X4 trucks.  The rest I just wasted.

Offline JAH

• Registered Users
« Reply #47 on: April 04, 2020, 01:06:36 AM »
I had another Case "Kickstart" knife in my pocket, today.  It's a "Trapperlock".  I think the scales are "Amber jigged bone".  But, don't quote me on that.

I'm really not in love with these things.  But, they sure are purdy.  So, because I sometimes love pretty things, I'm forced to have a few of the Kickstart models in the rotation...  >:(

Offline JAH

• Registered Users
« Reply #48 on: April 18, 2020, 11:36:33 PM »
Texas has a history of illegal distillation, although not like most of the Prohibition/moonshine States.  And, that history, and the history of regulating booze, has stayed with us to this day...from the Local Option Laws of the late 1800's, to the early days of the "Liquor Board", to the modern-day Texas Alcoholic Beverage Commission. 

For those of y'all from other States (States where you can buy booze at the local grocery stores), this may not seem like a big deal.  But, here in the Great State of Texas, I was shocked to see this last night...

I went to grab some take-out for my Alzheimer's patient and I, from our regular "quick" Tex-Mex" joint, and found that they were offering margaritas in the drive-thru.  What???  I don't know if this is a recent thing (because of the pandemic), or something that happened over the last coupla' years (and I just hadn't noticed).  We've always had drive-thru beer & wine barns (usually out in the sticks), but nowhere that you could buy "to go" drinks made with liquor (like Tequila margaritas). 

The price was stupid, but I thought, "The heck with it, I'll grab one, even if I don't drink it tonight."  So, I did.  The margarita was deconstructed, consisting of the frozen concoction, three (3) "airport" bottles of white Tequila, and salt & lime.  Since I didn't feel like drinking last night, I took it to my house and threw the frozen concoction in the freezer.

Tonight, I pulled the frozen concoction rock out of the freezer to enjoy my drink.  As it turns-out, a Buck 110 Slim Select makes a heck of an icepick.  Salud!...

Offline JAH

• Registered Users
« Reply #49 on: April 20, 2020, 06:42:17 PM »
My 110 Pro and I hung-out today.  What a fantastic knife...

Offline JAH

• Registered Users
« Reply #50 on: April 24, 2020, 02:08:15 AM »
I can't remember a pic of my Dad (RIP), out hunting, without the black leather "Buck" sheath on his belt.  I reckon that, from the time he was Honorably Discharged from the Army (1965), a trusty Buck 110 was his constant hunting companion (along with his BFF, his Brother-in-Law "Ed", also deceased).  In between four-to-five decades of hunting, and his Friends constantly asking him to teach their kids how to properly gut whitetail, he probably gutted and quartered over a hundred deer.  He was never a trophy hunter.  In fact, just the opposite, he was a "You eat what you kill" kinda' guy.  So, he and I would eat venison from about January thru March. (*By the time he passed, he'd become quite the Chef, and was one of the regular "Deer Camp" cooks)

He never took advantage of Buck's Lifetime Warranty, but preferred to just purchase a new 110, about every 10-or-so years, after he'd done his best to wear-out his last.

Here is his last "afield" 110 (1990 "X" stamp) with one of the modern 110 Slim Selects I tote quite often...like time travelling from "Classic" to "Modern"...

« Last Edit: April 24, 2020, 02:42:32 AM by JAH »

Offline JAH

• Registered Users
« Reply #51 on: April 24, 2020, 02:49:40 AM »
Mods,

What's up with the Site?  I had to click the "Modify" tab, about three times, to get my the original text of my post properly displayed.  :-\

No offense.  I just thought I'd mention it.

J.J.

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #52 on: April 24, 2020, 05:27:26 AM »
Not sure what you mean? Posts appear to be fine, except you have a knife in your margarita.
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline JAH

• Registered Users
« Reply #53 on: April 24, 2020, 06:44:14 PM »
Not sure what you mean? Posts appear to be fine, except you have a knife in your margarita.

Yeah, it looks fine now.  But, last night, when I got done typing (and hit the "Post" button), a good portion of what I typed was missing in the post.  When I'd hit the "Modify" button, the text wasn't missing in that particular window.  It was pretty strange.  I guess I finally hit the Modify button enough that everything was included in the post.  Maybe a Server glitch?

*And, that's not a Margarita.  At that point, it was a large margarita-flavored block of ice. ;)

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #54 on: April 25, 2020, 06:04:59 AM »
Next time drink the margarita first and then try posting  ;)

Are you using a web browser or mobile device?
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

Offline JAH

• Registered Users
« Reply #55 on: April 25, 2020, 04:56:52 PM »
I'm on the browser on my desk-top.

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #56 on: April 28, 2020, 10:49:34 AM »
Which browser do you use?
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

Offline JAH

• Registered Users
« Reply #57 on: April 28, 2020, 02:39:41 PM »
MS Edge.

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #58 on: April 28, 2020, 03:04:01 PM »
I would recommend trying the Chrome browser.
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

Offline philo_beddoe

• 77 C-10
What's in your pocket?...
« Reply #59 on: April 30, 2020, 10:22:59 PM »
Glock G42 fits right in the pocket. Used to carry a butterfly knife for years when I was younger.
Yeah, wish i could get the 42, thats a nice .380. But not in MA, not compliant. Carry a shield .40 instead, pretty darn close. Also, a guitar pick, and a real Schrade Uncle Henry pocket knife, the original USA ones made in NY. I also own some original Old Timers and of course the all time rare big boy, The Uncle Henry Bear Paw, LB7. Not many of these left.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2020, 10:34:26 PM by philo_beddoe »
Behold, the day of the LORD cometh, and thy spoil shall be divided in the midst of thee.  Zechariah 14:1