Author Topic: Rebuild Gov-lok or spring for Eaton?  (Read 31861 times)

Offline SUX2BU99

• My Cardomain Site. Truck is on Page 6.
Re: Rebuild Gov-lok or spring for Eaton?
« Reply #60 on: November 06, 2009, 10:24:13 AM »
I've got the new rear end 95% installed. I'm having an issue with the driver side lower shock mounting ears. The one side got bent in somehow from the previous owner and the bend is right above the hole for the bolt, making it not so simple as banging it straight with a hammer. That just bends the end of the ear out but not where the kink is. Is there some kind of spreader type tool out there I could use? Something I could put in between the ears, then crank on it and bend it straight?

I tried using my bench vise by getting it in there and spreading it open but that just busted the cheap little C clip that retains the one jaw of the vise and made it useless now  >:(
85 Chevy Silverado C10 short, wide, yellow, 2wd. Lowered, 60-over 350 with Dart Iron Eagle heads and Comp Cams XE268 cam, TH350 w/ shift kit, 3.40 Gov-lok 12 bolt.

Offline Captkaos

• OWNER and Administrator
  • Administrator
    • http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com
« Reply #61 on: November 09, 2009, 08:49:24 PM »
How about putting a cresent wrench on it and bending it out.

Offline SUX2BU99

• My Cardomain Site. Truck is on Page 6.
« Reply #62 on: November 10, 2009, 12:13:24 PM »
Hmmm I never thought of that. I bet that would have been of some help. I ended up grinding down the portion of sleeve in the shock end that was sticking out, and made it flush with the rubber bushing. It was about 1/16" and grinding that down plus knocking it in with my small sledge did the trick and the bolt is in. Just have to bleed the brakes now and get the wheels back on :)
85 Chevy Silverado C10 short, wide, yellow, 2wd. Lowered, 60-over 350 with Dart Iron Eagle heads and Comp Cams XE268 cam, TH350 w/ shift kit, 3.40 Gov-lok 12 bolt.