Author Topic: AXLE CODES:  (Read 26714 times)

Offline Captkaos

• OWNER and Administrator
  • Administrator
    • http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com
Re: AXLE CODES:
« Reply #45 on: February 21, 2008, 09:51:06 AM »
AFAIK the 2.56's are on a 3 series carrier, if so it will work.

Offline Stewart G Griffin

Re: AXLE CODES:
« Reply #46 on: February 26, 2008, 10:26:44 AM »
UPDATE:

Alright, basically what is happening now is i'm close, but not close enough;  When i used driven gear #3987918--18 tooth "brown" gear, i was actually doing 63 with the needle at 60 and the odometer reads 1/10 more than one mile.  i then tried #3987917--the 17 tooth "purple" gear and i'm doing basically 58mph with the needle at 60 and the odometer is still about 1/10 over one mile.

Normally, either of the above would be good enough for me.  But i'm trying to figure out my gas mileage so i need something precise and   since i really don't have time to further mess with it, i think i'm going to go with one of those electronic speedometers---either from autometer or cyberdyne.  These can be calibrated exactly.

The #3987918 is the stock driven gear for 235/75 15's and 2.56 rear according to the dealer.  But i think what's happening is my tires are off brand and thus are different from everyone elses 235/75 in size.  Either that or my speedo is slightly out of whack.

So, in case anyone is interested, the stock speedo gears for a TH-350 and 2.56 rear equipped GM vehicle are:
a)With 195/75 15's
drive gear (on output shaft)----#6261785 "purple" 10 tooth
driven gear -------------------# 3987920 "blue"    20 tooth

b) With 235/75 15's
drive gear---------------------#6261785 "purple" 10 tooth
driven gear--------------------#3987918 "brown" 18 tooth

These are the stock gears as they came from the factory.  Again, it's not working for me because i suspect  that my tires are "funny."

So what did i/we learn?
1)The GM dealer is an excellent resource for not only knowledge of the different part combinations, but the  actual parts and prices;  If you've switched to a different size tire and/or rear gear that was available on one of these cars, the dealer knows exactly which gears are the right ones.  Also, they were cheap--about $5 per gear.  Try buying one from summit or tci etc.  You'll probably pay at least $20 after all is said and done.

2) Don't get into a rush and get all hasty.  Think about what needs to be done and ask a lot of questions;  i was getting ready to take the driveshaft out and the tailhousing off and Mr. Vile stepped in and questioned the situation.  On top of that, i still have no idea how i would get the drive gear off the output shaft if it had gone that far.

3) Custom Deluxes (as opposed to Silverados) apparently did come with "small" car tires.  i think the silverados had 215/75 15's as standard.  But the deluxes were an entry-level 1/2 ton pickup with fullsize car drivetrain.  We have to remember that the S-10 had only been out for a year and until those sales picked up, the custom deluxe was still filling the role of the light 1/2 ton pickup?  i guess?

Actually, one of the members had a setup that illustrates these smaller tires.  i think it looked rather nice actually:
http://forum.73-87chevytrucks.com/smforum/index.php?topic=7156.0

i think i may start another thread strictly on speedo calibration, because we we're getting slightly off the original topic.

« Last Edit: February 26, 2008, 10:29:47 AM by Stewart G Griffin »