Author Topic: 1981 scottsdale grant steering this dang horn install!!!!  (Read 1505 times)

Offline Walnut777

1981 scottsdale grant steering this dang horn install!!!!
« on: April 09, 2019, 04:41:39 PM »
1981 Scottsdale. no cruise, no tilt. I have a grant steering wheel with correct adapter. I cannot for the life of me figure out how it goes together

do I remove the original plunger and spring? if so what after that? I have a really bad problem at looking at issues in the most complex ways that I never see how easy something really is. any help is appreciated. thank you.

Offline Walnut777

Re: 1981 scottsdale grant steering this dang horn install!!!! UPDATE
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2019, 09:14:36 AM »
I figured it out. The Grant Instructions were no help. I was by myself and unable to take pics.

My steering wheel was a 1 wire horn.

In the grant kit they have this circular disc. I did not have to use.
When you remove the steering wheel theres a small plastic tube sticking out of the column.

It has a small black piece with a tab to lock it into the protruding tube. It also has a small pin and spring. Remove all of that.

The kit has a similar black tube with a locking tab  that's much longer, also the wire that comes with kit for the horn has a female end and a plunger  type contact on the other.

Take the female end of the wire. Feed it through the black tube. The other end of the wire that has the plunger type contact has a head on it like a nail and won't come through the hole of the tube. Take the spring your original like I did (it was made better) or the one suppled. Drop it into the tube on the steering wheel. Then take the long black tube with the wire that you just slid through and with the female wire connector facing you, put that tube into the tube with the spring on the column. Push it inward and turn it clockwise til it holds. The assemble your steering wheel.
Hope it helps someone down the road.

Offline JohnnyPopper

• Old Goof
Re: 1981 scottsdale grant steering this dang horn install!!!!
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2019, 01:17:31 PM »
Good Job Man!

Now grab yourself a beer, You earned it!
1957 Apache 3100 235 Inline 6, 3 on the tree
1973 C-20, 3+3 454 4BBL TH400  Water Injection
1978 K-10, 350 4BBL TH350 NP203 M.M. Part time Kit/Hubs
1980 C-10 under construction