Author Topic: Front Crossmember Replacement  (Read 18776 times)

Offline Doms86Shortbed

Front Crossmember Replacement
« on: June 27, 2011, 10:16:20 PM »
Hey guys I have a 1986 Chevrolet c-10 2 wheel drive shortbed with a 350 and a turbo 400 trans. The front crossmember and upper/lower control arms are all rusted to beyond anything I would ever feel safe driving. Luckily I previously bought a donor frame with full front suspension everything for a replacement. Problem is I'm not trying to take apart The whole front end this and that I already tore the fenders off now the hood and grille/radiator support are still attached. I just want to know what you guys opinion was on how I should replace this without pull the motor. Probably jacking up the oil pan so it support the engine then unbolting the motor mounts. Just wondering what your opinion were if any. thanks in advance!

Dominic

Offline slammed79

• Thou shalt not drive stock
Re: Front Crossmember Replacement
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2011, 10:34:14 PM »
It is not even remotely safe to do this with the motor still in the bay. Plus, the motor mounts bolt to the cross memeber so the motor will need to be taken loose and lifted up.

Saftey first brotha, get the motor outa the way and go to town.
74 C10 Long bed 350/SM465 Lowered on 20's

Praise the lowered

Offline HAULIN IT

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2011, 10:44:39 PM »
It is not even remotely safe to do this with the motor still in the bay. Plus, the motor mounts bolt to the cross memeber so the motor will need to be taken loose and lifted up.
Not really the case. Supported properly, it's not a problem at all. I just put a piece of 2" heavy angle iron across the top of the frame rails (you can see it just below the waterpump pulley) & threaded in a couple bolts into the lower area of the engine. Removing the crank pulley will let you get back closer...just thread a bolt in on each side of the timing cover maybe 4" long or so.
Welcome to the site Dominic! Have Fun, Lorne

Offline slammed79

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2011, 10:59:44 PM »
I see your point Lorne. I'd just rather have the engine out personally, I can be accident prone.

Praise the lowered

Offline three8six

• Frequent Member
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2011, 07:28:31 AM »
I would def. be scared but I am the most acccident prone guy too.

Offline Captkaos

• OWNER and Administrator
  • Administrator
    • http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2011, 03:15:46 PM »
As long as it is supported you should be fine.  Keep in mind to get the crossmember under there without a lift you are going to have to get it pretty high to roll one out and the other under if the bumper and core support is still on there.

Offline Doms86Shortbed

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2011, 11:00:40 PM »
Wow, thanks guys! I don't have a lift I'm going to try to attempt this in my relatively flat driveway with Lorne's idea and if I feel it's unsafe I'll just pull the plug. Those picture's are great along with this forum I probably wouldn't be able to restore this truck without the advice from you guys and knowledge of the internet. I'll be sure to post a few before/after pictures of my weekend project in the project section to let you guys know if I'm still alive or not! ;D

Offline Doms86Shortbed

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2011, 11:32:41 PM »
Just an update for everybody I have upper/lower control arms off along with the spindles. and the crossmember out. I have the engine held up by a jack and a piece of wood on the oil pan. Lorne suggested a piece angle iron across the water pump pulley for it to sit on the frame but where it is now it would be way too low if i lowered the engine that much i dont think the new crossmember will be able to fit, and the bell housing will hit the cab if i lift it all the way up for the piece of angle iron to sit on the harmonic balancer. Also another quick question my steering linkage is like jammed against idler arm i cant even get a fork in it or hammer it off or anything. the cotter pin and bolt are both off as well. I suppose the idler arm needs to come off but then there are 2-3 metal brake lines in the way. I will update with pictures tommorow it got dark too quickly here in NJ for me to get any good ones! but this project is so far a breeze. no safety hazards about the jack stands being up to high everything is going quickly!

Dominic

Offline 1980c10

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2011, 09:39:35 PM »
Can you get a pitman arm puller?

Offline Doms86Shortbed

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2011, 10:37:24 PM »
Hello everyone another quick update on my status. The donor frame i got all of my new un-rusted suspension parts from had a bad accident that bent the front frame rails together and bent the crossmember together about 7/8 of an inch on each side. WHAT A BUMMER! so now i'm set back again! My next move will be to find a third crossmember off of a junkyard truck or if it's possible (which i dont think it is but you guys would know better then me) maybe heat up the cross member and put weight on both sides to bend it back enough to be able to fit around the frame. I'm thinking that the metal is thick and i would need alot of heat/weight to do that and the $20 junkyard crossmember wouldnt be the worst idea. I'm starting to lose my love for this truck I can't enjoy it when it's stuck in my driveway! >:(

Offline Blazin

• Blazin new trails!
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2011, 10:25:14 PM »
Don't waste your time triying to fix the bent one. Take your old one to a chassis shop that builds race cars. Have them build you one!
Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs

Offline slammed79

« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2011, 10:35:22 PM »
dv8customs built one for his 86, I think the info for it is on another forum and I can't remember for the life of me which one. I do remember it was 2x4x.25 square tubing, but it was designed to pull the track width in and raise the xmember up, if you aren't trying to bag your truck you may just wanna go get one out of a yard.

Praise the lowered

Offline Captkaos

• OWNER and Administrator
  • Administrator
    • http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2011, 12:02:10 PM »
Porterbuilt sells them also with all new geometry and a rack mount...

Offline slammed79

« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2011, 07:52:17 PM »
I remember Nathan was talking about doing one that accepted stock coils, but that was a couple years ago, and who knows if anything ever came of it.

Praise the lowered

Offline Doms86Shortbed

« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2011, 01:25:14 AM »
It would be cool to make my own, but alittle too costly and too time consuming this is a teenage part time budget restoration. I went to a place near my house a guy was parting out a dump truck and it has the same crossmember so im going to swipe that up and get this thing back together! I showed him the older crossmember, upper control arms, and spindles and he said he has probably taken apart around 100 of these trucks and none had rusted out this bad. Plow trucks..beach truck...nothing. All I can think is somebody parked this bad boy at the bottom of their pool in the 90's an took it out in 2011. LOL! sorry for the lack of pictures it's hard for me my camera can be a pain!