Author Topic: I want to install a diesel engine 6,5 instead of 6,2  (Read 12598 times)

Offline ssapach

• Registered Users
Re: I want to install a diesel engine 6,5 instead of 6,2
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2012, 10:46:42 AM »
I believe the engine in the picture you posted is mechanically injected.  Also appears to have the turbo tucked into the back of the engine valley.

The location of the turbo makes it nice and easy if you are wanting to put this into a vehicle with air conditioning, as the passenger side mounted turbo from a 6.5 diesel will interfere with the a/c box.

This thing should be nearly a drop in engine.  The fuel filter for a 6.2 is likely mounted on the firewall, and it would be a rectangular box.  Not sure about this Hummer 6.5 but most 6.5's has a cylindrical filter mounted at the back of the engine valley on the intake manifold.  This one might be in a different location due to the turbo location.

Not sure on the vacuum pump either, as the 6.2 would have it located at the rear of the engine right where a distributor would be on a gas engine.  Again, could be non-existent on this Hummer 6.5 due to the turbo location.

If I'm not mistaken, the turbo wastegate has a vacuum hookup to it, but I can't recall for sure as the last one I had in my posession just had the wastegate welded shut.

Hope that helps a little.

Offline snibook7537

• Registered Users
  • Vince Ziolkowski
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2012, 12:34:04 PM »
I have heard that the back mount turbo which it seems like you have requires a bunch of cutting of the firewall. I cannot say for sure because I have never had one or tried to to that but I have asked the question on a GM diesel forum and everyone there said that you would have to cut and fabricate the firewall to clear the back mount turbo. Just a heads up I would use that style instead of the side mount because I would prefer to have A/C but thats just me.  I would look further into it before I would start tearing it up.
1984 Fiero se pwr windows Holley TBi, cam, 86 5spd
1987 GMC V3500 350 TBi 4spd 205 t-case

Shoulda never sold:
1976 c-10 beater 250-6 4spd no pwr steering, brakes. Recycling truck

Offline valyidol

« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2012, 03:19:44 AM »
Thanks! I have understood, probably, I'll not begin to do it. Very difficultly