Author Topic: Dash light question  (Read 2406 times)

Offline MacQueen7

Dash light question
« on: August 20, 2019, 07:36:53 PM »
Thank you for the help so far, i have a 1986 k10 that was not running when i bought it.  My gauge lights dont turn on with the headlights.  All head and tail lights work, each blinker works.  Also the 4wd indicator lights up, and the blinker indicators on the dash work.  Just not the dimmable lights.  I did remove two bulbs from the dash and check them in the taillight and they turned on.   I would go with pcb being bad, or the grey wire having a cut somewhere according to the tech article since i have power on one side of the 5 amp fuse.     The ground strap is on clean metal to metal, as is block to frame and battery to frame.  Am i missing something?   Also the radio doesnt turn on, but i havent checked the fuse block yet and i need to double check wires, it was new when installed 4 months ago
« Last Edit: August 20, 2019, 07:38:54 PM by MacQueen7 »

Online bd

• Global Moderator
Re: Dash light question
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2019, 09:27:33 AM »
With the running lights switched on, verify B+ on both sides of the 5-amp instrument lamps fuse.  Probe for power to the actual fuse terminals in the fuse block since oxidation of the terminals can disrupt fuse connections.  Once power has been verified through the instrument lamps fuse, probe for power on the gray wire entering the instrument cluster connector, and then again to the PC board foil as it exits the cluster connector.  Although breaks in the wiring do occur from time-to-time, a poor or open connection is more likely.

Regarding the radio, always begin by checking the fuse.
Rich
It's difficult to know just how much you don't know until you know it.
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!
87 R10 Silverado Fleetside 355 MPFI 700R4 3.42 Locker (aka Rusty, aka Mater)