Author Topic: 77 K10 Chassis  (Read 1811 times)

Offline 77GMC77

• New Users
77 K10 Chassis
« on: February 26, 2021, 01:23:03 PM »
Hey guys, new here, I've been wracking my brain with this and don't know what to do. Figured I'd come here and get some advice or pointers.

I have a 77 K10. Truck has been in the fam since it was new and obviously well used throughout its lifetime. I'm going to start spending money on it to get it restored. My goal is to keep it stock and restore it to use like an everyday pickup. The problem that I can't figure out is what to do about the chassis of the vehicle. I have found 3 cracks in the frame, and the frame has been bounced around so many times in it’s life, I just don't see it being safe to use for much longer.

Does anybody make a chassis for this vehicle? I have found a couple of places online that make frames for the 2WD C10s. They seem to be engineered well enough for what the vehicle will be used for and not priced too far out of my price range, but I can't find anyone who makes any chassis for the 4WD K10.

Don't want a junkyard frame. Will probably just have the same problem.

Not going to box the frame. Will make it too rigid and just rust away from the inside out.

I thought about welding up the cracks and welding up a couple of braces on each side of the frame rails that run the length of the pickup. I have the knowledge and equipment to do this myself but it's going to take an incredible amount of time for me to do this properly, and don't really want to. Has anyone done anything like this?

Thanks

Offline Mike81K10

• Site Supporters
Re: 77 K10 Chassis
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2021, 02:47:37 PM »
You can get it properly welded (repaired) or get one from a salvage yard. Most do not have that many problems. What state are you from and attach some pictures?
"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn." -Benjamin Franklin

Offline TheBigHat

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2021, 05:08:37 PM »
I found some frame parts recently (spring hangers) on a website called General spring, I have also seen frame reinforcement kits on Jegs. Another place that has a lot, almost every piece in fact is   truck. Good luck and welcome to square body world brother! Also, even if General Spring doesn't have a whole frame, it sounds like it might be a good idea to look at your frame hangers and hanger supports anyway and they have them. I have a 78 K20 and am about to replace those on mine. Another thing you will want to invest in if you haven't already is these old girls are tough, REALLY tough, but they have a weak spot on the front right frame where the steering box is that likes to crack. There are kits to reinforce this also that can be found at the aforementioned web sites. 

Other useful mentions,  , while it has everything will often charge for every piece of hardware, while General Spring includes hardware in the kit that comes with the parts.

Oh! sorry, I am a bit of a noob here still. I cannot say the name of (blank)Truck on here as it is ran by a company that sells parts. So...check them first! :)  GO 73-87 truck parts!

Hope this gets you a good start!
« Last Edit: February 28, 2021, 05:13:12 PM by TheBigHat »

Offline 77GMC77

• New Users
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2021, 07:24:05 PM »
I’m in Texas. Don’t mind traveling around Texas and the surrounding states. Don’t really have that many pictures. Was able to find this one from about six years ago. Pickup looks about the same now. I don’t use it on the highway, just here in there on the farm.  I haven’t even started on restoring this yet. I would really like to just send this vehicle to a reputable restore shop and let them have at it, but a frame off restoration (including working on the frame ) is I’m sure out of my budget and not practical. Looking like I’ll probably have to strip it down to the frame myself, do the framework, some other things, and then put it back together and send it to a shop to do the interior, bodywork, and other things I would like done to it.

I will definitely check out those places you mentioned BigHat.

Offline Mike81K10

• Site Supporters
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2021, 08:11:11 PM »
Your pic was empty! To attach pics save them as JPEG and adjust picture size to 500 KB or less. You can attach them by clicking on the Attachments an..... link below the text block.
"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn." -Benjamin Franklin

Offline JohnnyPopper

• Old Goof
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2021, 01:14:47 PM »
Welcome from SoCal San Diego!

So you think the cracks render her unsafe? They have to be substantial.  :o

R&R of a frame is a LOT of work, I would get the frame welded and reinforced as suggested.  8)
1957 Apache 3100 235 Inline 6, 3 on the tree
1973 C-20, 3+3 454 4BBL TH400  Water Injection
1978 K-10, 350 4BBL TH350 NP203 M.M. Part time Kit/Hubs
1980 C-10 under construction