Author Topic: 6.2/700r4 Throttle Valve Cable replacement  (Read 4653 times)

Offline eddie19852004

• New Users
6.2/700r4 Throttle Valve Cable replacement
« on: May 04, 2015, 12:23:22 AM »
I have a 1986 K10 Silverado with 6.2l diesel and the 700r4 transmission.  It was a truck my dad bought new back in 1986.  My cousin bought it from him In the early 2000's.  After he bought it, he added a lift kit, bigger tires, etc. and replaced the transmission for a reason not know to me.  Anyways, My dad bought it back a few years ago and then bought a new truck so he was going to sell it.  I bought it and had the truck shipped here to Kansas City a few weeks back.  It hadn't been driven in about a year and a half, (but still started and ran great!)  but I wanted to be able to drive it around with no worries, so I went through and rebuilt the loose stearing column, replaced the belts, brake rotors/drums, pads, shoes, hardware and adjusters on the rear, master cylinder, brake lines, wheel cylinders, calipers, transmission mount, transmission filter (fluid was still bright red with no metal/gunk), replaced the governer cover and it's o-ring, flushed the coolant, air filter, all that good stuff.  I've very little mechanical experience, and learned to do it all on the fly as I went along!  The truck is running great! The only issue is no kickdown under throttle.  After talking to my dad, he said my cousin just never replaced the Throttle Valve Cable when he replaced the transmission.  So I ordered one and it'll be here in two days.  With all that said, I finally get to my question...where does this cable attach on the engine and then also on the transmission.  I was able to find a lot of info on adjusting it, but not really anything on replacement on the 6.2l diesel and 700r4?!?  Any help or tips at all is much appreciated.  Also, if the adjustment is different for the diesel, let me know...thanks!
« Last Edit: May 04, 2015, 12:34:01 AM by eddie19852004 »

Offline eddie19852004

• New Users
Re: 6.2/700r4 Throttle Valve Cable replacement
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2015, 10:21:25 PM »
Update: Took off the housing for the air filter and found there was already a TV Cable, he just hadn't replaced it when putting in the new transmission, so it was just worn out/stretched.  Took the old one off of the throttle body and replaced with the new one, attaching it to the driver's side of the throttle body and fished it down through and attached it to the passenger side of the transmission, just above the pan.  All in all, about 10 minutes.  Adjusted it and test drove...kicks down and back up like a charm!!! 

Offline LTZ C20

• "I'm here for a good time" -George Strait
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2015, 12:03:26 AM »
Good to hear.
LTZ Cheyenne C20

Offline Captkaos

• OWNER and Administrator
  • Administrator
    • http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2015, 04:07:16 PM »
Just an FYI, 6.2L/700R4 TV brackets are like hens teeth, almost impossible to find.  It HAS to come from a donor.  I looked for months trying to get one for mine.