Author Topic: diesels and turbos/superchargers:  (Read 13155 times)

Offline Stewart G Griffin

diesels and turbos/superchargers:
« on: June 11, 2015, 07:49:00 PM »
If you add a turbo to a 6.2---such as the Banks turbo kit, how do they injectors "know" to supply more fuel when the turbo is making boost?

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
Re: diesels and turbos/superchargers:
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2015, 07:54:10 PM »
um... bigger injectors?
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2015, 08:25:55 PM »
Right, but (and as you can tell i don't know much about diesels.....) if the turbo is not making any boost or making little boost, then how would larger injectors "know" when to cut back on fuel?

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2015, 08:37:57 PM »
im not a diesel mechanic but i would think its not related to boost but more to how fast the motor is spinning and this turns the injection pump.

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline TerryY

• Old Fart
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2015, 01:39:46 AM »
There is an adjustment internal to the injection pump that allows you to increase the fuel flow.
77 GMC Motor home 455 Olds Tornado driveline
83 Chevy Van 6.2 Diesel  700r4
85 GMC K3500 454 4 speed GV overdrive
Plus more

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2015, 06:20:46 PM »
There is an adjustment internal to the injection pump that allows you to increase the fuel flow.

Right, but let's say you are coasting down a big hill with your foot off the gas----higher rpms= more fuel flow, but with the adjustment turned up you have even more fuel  So now you are running rich?

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2015, 07:57:41 PM »
http://www.cdxetextbook.com/fuelSys/diesel/comp/dieseldistpump.html

it doesnt talk much about it but you also have a fuel pin that regulates the amount of fuel that is added. the fuel pin is in a cone shape and a pin rides it that also controls the amount of fuel that is delivered. look up on youtube about cummins ve pump fuel pin and you will see hoow it works or an ideal

Offline TerryY

• Old Fart
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2015, 08:17:44 PM »

Right, but let's say you are coasting down a big hill with your foot off the gas----higher rpms= more fuel flow, but with the adjustment turned up you have even more fuel  So now you are running rich?

The pump is variable displacement controlled by the throttle position. So coasting would have fuel volume at near Zero anyway. I believe the increase in fuel flow is proportion throughout the full range of throttle positions. So at full throttle a lot more than at idle.

The Stanadyne pumps are identical in function to a hydraulic pump with an internal swash plate volume control. Mostly because that is what they are.

If you get it too rich you can join the ranks of Coal Rollers and leave black clouds in your wake at worse.

77 GMC Motor home 455 Olds Tornado driveline
83 Chevy Van 6.2 Diesel  700r4
85 GMC K3500 454 4 speed GV overdrive
Plus more

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2015, 09:37:51 AM »
Ok, i just went to the banks website and looked at the instructions for the kit.

As i understand it now, and really the question is now---if the pump is "turned up" then this only affects fuel flow at wide open throttle or open throttle?   When you're idling the fuel flow would be the same as if you didn't turn it up because fuel flow is also determined by throttle position?

Offline LTZ C20

• "I'm here for a good time" -George Strait
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2015, 10:59:56 PM »
Are you considering adding a turbo or just wanting to learn? Don't know if it's true but I read somewhere (think it was on here) that when GM was trying to develop a turbo setup for the 6.5, it was the Banks Sidewinder turbo design they based there setup off of.
LTZ Cheyenne C20

« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2015, 11:51:33 AM »
Mostly learning, and i think Banks supplied the original turbo option for GM until the 6.5 came out.

Offline LTZ C20

« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2015, 03:24:55 PM »
Mostly learning, and i think Banks supplied the original turbo option for GM until the 6.5 came out.
Right, but the turbo was never an option, the 6.2 and 5.7 diesels where never factory turbocharged. The banks kit was an aftermarket add on.
LTZ Cheyenne C20

Offline hatzie

« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2015, 10:34:33 PM »

The Banks Sidewinder turbo kit was a dealer installed and warrantied option till GM rolled out thier factory systems on the 1993 model year 6.5L trucks.

BAE made a turbo kit for the 5.7L olds diesels.  But these were not factory either.

EDIT...  GM didn't warranty the engine or turbo the dealership installing it did.  Only some dealers did this and it didn't have an official GM RPO.
 From orbit on my Android.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2015, 10:50:36 AM by hatzie »
SVC & wiring mans --> Here http://tinyurl.com/7387BRD-SVCMAN or My Bucket @ http://tinyurl.com/SQ-SVCMAN
Parts & Illustr Books -->http://tinyurl.com/SqParts
GMSTG Textbooks-->http://tinyurl.com/STG-TEXTBK
Radio Manuals-->http://tinyurl.com/DELCORADSVC

Offline LTZ C20

« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2015, 12:49:57 AM »
Quote from: hatzie
The Banks Sidewinder turbo kit was a dealer installed and warrantied option till GM rolled out thier factory systems on the 1993 model year 6.5L trucks.

BAE made a turbo kit for the 5.7L olds diesels.  But these were not factory either.

From orbit on my Android.

Didn't know that, I dig it.
LTZ Cheyenne C20

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2015, 06:59:36 AM »
Didn't know that, I "spool" it.

Hahahaha, get it.