Author Topic: 6.2 freshening up opinions  (Read 3703 times)

Offline jhiggin

6.2 freshening up opinions
« on: October 02, 2015, 01:59:52 PM »
well i've been going through my 82 660 red block j code. I should start by saying the motor is out of the truck and being freshened up (not fully rebuilt)  to put in my restored 81 k20. This motor was supposed to just be for back up/ parts until i went to change the oil in another 6.2 i'd planned to use and was greeted by sparkly oil. so now back to the red block, it turned over great when i got it but wouldn't run. injection pump was shot. anyway this is my first time working on 6.2 internals. non of the mains are cracked shockingly. I plan on plasti gauging main/ rod bearings, but id prefer if possibly to not do anything to the bottom end but a girdle and oil pump if possible. i also plan on replacing timing chain, water pump, harmonic balancer, and all seals including head gaskets. my real question is when it comes to the heads. i have them pulled and they look to be  uncracked and in good shape but what should i replace/ have done. i was thinking pressure test or magnaflux and hot tank but what do yall think? any opinions on what should be freshened up parts wise? this truck will be a daily driver

thanks!

Offline fitz

Re: 6.2 freshening up opinions
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2015, 07:03:31 AM »
Sounds like you have things covered pretty well.
Those red blocks are sought after in the 6.2 world.
Sending the heads out to be checked is a worthwhile investment.
What are you going to run for a harmonic balancer?  Fluid dampers are nice, but big $$.  It might be worth it if the truck is a keeper.
  The only other thing I can think of is to install a newc AC Delco lift pump before you install the engine back in the truck.
  Hopefully Vile will chime in, he rebuilt a 6.2 a few years ago.

Offline jhiggin

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2015, 10:47:10 PM »
I'm just gonna run a gm balancer and I already have a electric lift pump set up. Update on the red block j code heads. They look alitle rough In between the valves.

Offline Captkaos

• OWNER and Administrator
  • Administrator
    • http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2015, 11:30:44 AM »
Sounds like you have a good plan to me.

Offline 1967KaiserM715

• 1985 GMC K1500 w/ 6.5 TD
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2015, 06:12:55 PM »
I'm just gonna run a gm balancer and I already have a electric lift pump set up. Update on the red block j code heads. They look Little rough In between the valves.

you can check timing and spray pattern on injectors and pump, actually probably just get new injectors, wouldnt want to put back together and have a "pissing" injector
Current Vehicles:1985 GMC K10(Daily) 1991 GMC K2500(Daily) 1975 Beetle(not running) 1985 Mercedes 300D(not running) 1952 M35    1967 M715(not running)
 1986 Chevy K30(under repair)