Author Topic: ream key is broke  (Read 3798 times)

Offline 87swb

• Frequent Member
ream key is broke
« on: April 05, 2006, 11:26:00 PM »
anyone know an old trick to getting off locking lug nuts. my dad overtightened my lug nuts using my ream key ofcourse, and broke the nothches in it. the reams are Eagle Alloys series 028. i can't find any keys like it. my dad bought a socket that fits over the nut and is supposed to grip, has threads that are backwards, the nut, and thats not workin either. any help would be greatly appreciated.

Offline bfofish

• Too Many Toys..... Not Enough Time
  • Frequent Member
Re: ream key is broke
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2006, 12:05:00 AM »
i have used an oversized socket in the past ,find a socket that almost  fits over the locking lugnut and pound it on with a hammer. then turn it of slowly!  

1987 Stepside 2wd , 2003 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab

Offline 87swb

• Frequent Member
ream key is broke
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2006, 11:47:00 AM »
i'm not havin any luck with puttin sockets on them. no one in my town can order that key. bad thing is, is that those locking lug nuts are on every wheel stud. Gerth is the name of the company that makes that key, and i don't have the first clue to how to get a replacement key from them if they even have one. never even heard of them. and those sockets you buy from Auto Zone or O Reillys that have threads in them that go the opposite direction that are suppost to take off stripped nuts and locking lug nuts aren't worth a crap. they won't even grip them or fit on them right. what should i do???

Offline 123 pugsy

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2006, 12:14:00 PM »
Break em off with an air chisel??  

Pugsy
76 C10 LWB
TPI 350

Offline chevyfan

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2006, 01:40:00 PM »
Check around your local tire shops, I know alot of tire shops in my area have a universal key that works with nearly every locking lug nut. If not i know the canadian tire in my town sells this socket and it is suppose to work on almost anything. The thing has multiple little metal rods in it and it is called gator socket or something.

images.canadiantire.ca/me..._540bb.jpg

I dont know if that will work for you but it might be worth a try

Edited by: chevyfan at: 4/19/06 12:49 pm

Offline 76GreenBeast

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2006, 06:59:00 AM »
I used to work at a tire shop and we had a set of wheel lock removers that would fit over the lock.  We would hammer it into place and use our impact guns to slowly take it off.  Our set seemed to work pretty well, I can't remember any problems taking any off.  We would have customers coming in all the time just to take off the wheel locks because they lost/broke the key.  

Offline 87swb

• Frequent Member
ream key is broke
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2006, 12:54:00 PM »
thanks for the suggestions. i guess what i'll do is look around these tire shops and see what they have. this town i live in don't have much to offer but Memphis is just about 30 miles south of me or less. i need new tires so what i'll do is find a shop that can remove them and get some tires put on and put regular lug nuts on them.