General Site Info > General Discussion

Tranny problems or just a normality?

(1/1)

79Chevy kid:
Hello,
I have a 1979 Chevy 3/4 ton, all stock, 350 engine, auto tranny, 2wd.  It has a lot of miles, but the engine is still strong.  I do not know how many due to the fact the odometer is stuck on 107,000.  
Now, when I first start out in the morning the tranny does not "grab" in first gear.  I feel like it is just slipping, then it slams into second pretty hard.  After that, it is fine, and will be fine for the rest of the day, even if I let it set for about 6 hours.  It is just now getting to be about freezing here at nights, and it did not do this in warm weather.  Should I be worried? Does the tranny still have some time left? I have done fluid and filter changes in the last 1k miles.  Should I just get a magnetic oil pan heater for the tranny? would the heat be about right for that?
Thanks in advance, I know I have presented a lot of questions,I just want to catch it before any more damage occures if any.
Thanks
Tom  

andyglines:
First, double check that you have the proper fluid level.  They will hesitate to go into gear if the fluid is low.  First thing in the morning is not a good time to burn rubber.  Drive easy at first letting things warm up.  I had trouble with the 700 in my camaro when the thermostat went.  Radiator didn't get warm therefore tranny fluid didn't get warm and it didn't shift correctly and no OD.  (Are you using the fluid cooler built into the radiator or an external one?)  When you changed the fluid was there any material in it or just clean oil?  If there was material you may be getting ready for a new tranny which is no big surprise on one with high milage.

j in la:
change your filter lately?

79Chevy kid:
Yup, new filter, fluid at correct level, and I am not hammering on it or anything in the morning.  Just normal starts, even if I take it real easy.

ChevyGuy:
Have you checked your hose for the vacuum to the tranny? Also your tranny could be wore out and the bands when warmed up are gettin the grit it needs to grab.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version