Author Topic: student trying to lower truck  (Read 3497 times)

Offline oldgold84

student trying to lower truck
« on: February 11, 2002, 03:19:00 PM »
I am in college and on a very limited budget. i have an 84 scotsdale 1/2 ton. i wan tto lower it like maybe a 2/4 drop. what is the most inexpensive/simplest way to do this? are shackles and hangers any good? what are the pros and cons of the drop methods? thanks. thomas

poseyracing

lowering......
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2002, 03:07:00 AM »
The cheapest but also the right way to lower your truck is to get ahold of AIM and pick up one of their 4" rear kits which consists of the shackles and hangers. On the front, you can either cut one coil(no more) off the stock springs or buy a 2" dropped aftermarket set. You can also get these coil springs from AIM also. If you choose to cut your stockers, the best way is to remove the coils from the truck(be VERY careful) and use a die grinder with a cut-off wheel to remove one coil. This won't ruin your coils from heat. You CAN use a torch after removing them, but when you do it that way, you need to submerge the part you aren't cutting off in a bucket of water so the water will absorb any heat that is transferred into the remainder of the coil. If you've never done any suspension work like this before, find someone who has for help.

poseyracing

lowering.....
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2002, 03:11:00 AM »
email me if you need to at drgtrkn79@aol.com

87BlueChevy

lowering
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2002, 08:15:00 PM »
you could also heat your front coils im not sure what to do with the rear

Offline 79GMC4x4

• Registered Users
Re: lowering
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2002, 12:11:00 AM »
Heating or cutting coils is a bad idea, and if done should be considered very temporary.

'79 GMC shortbed 454 th400 14 bolt FF NP205 Dana 60