Author Topic: Tools needed for drop?  (Read 3578 times)

Offline brockley23

Tools needed for drop?
« on: July 31, 2002, 08:39:00 PM »
I am planning on a 2/4 (or 3) drop on my 73 c10 cheyenne short bed.  I am going with drop coils up front and either drop leafs or hangers and shackles in the rear (any opinions as far as ride quality and load handling.  I just wanted to know which parts of this I could install myself with the average had tools.  What do I need in the way of tools and jacks and jack stands.  I know I need a spring compressor for the front so I will have a shop do that since I dont ahve access to one right now.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

1973 c10 short bed, mustard yellow (or whatever chevy calls it)

never cared for what they say, never cared for games they play, never cared for what they do, never cared for what they know, and I know...nothing else matters

Check out my website for pics of my collection

Edited by: brockley23  at: 8/1/02 1:39:33 am

Offline Low87on20s

tools needed for drop?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2002, 05:08:00 PM »
Normal hand tools will do the job.   You really don't need a spring compressor if you can get the front of the truck up hight enough for the A-arm to completetly drop.   While you have the front-end apart, I recommend changing the ball joints if they are old and worn.  

Offline brockley23

Re: tools needed for drop?
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2002, 10:08:00 PM »
what would i need to get the front end high enough?  The owner before me put on 31x10.5 tires on the stock rims which makes it too tall to use the factory jack to lift it.  I need something that has at least 20 inches of full extension.  The factory one give about 14 to 15 and i had it on a 4x4 so I figured that is about 18 to 19 inches extension and the tire was still touching the ground.  Would a 2 or 3 ton floor jack (type with handle that pushes down to lift up) give me enough extension or should i deflate the tires or wait til my new rims come in so I can put the stock size tires on them (235/75/15 or 225/75/15)?  What bout for the rear leaf springs?  Are they under any tension once the rear end is lifted since the axle is connected to them?  Thanks for your help.
Brett

never cared for what they say, never cared for games they play, never cared for what they do, never cared for what they know, and I know...nothing else matters

Offline 79GMC4x4

• Registered Users
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2002, 11:03:00 AM »
Okay, where to start here?  If you don't have a floor jack, the roll away 2 or three ton kind, get one before doing anything more involved than changing a tire.  They are less than a hundred bucks most anywhere.  Get a wide saddle, like 4 inches or more.  And buy a set of jackstands.  The better quality, the better likelihood you won't get crushed to death.  If it doesn't give quite enough lift, lay a 2x4 flat on the saddle.

Once the rear is lifted up, no problem, there is no trapped tension as with the front coils (captive).

Coils will drop it okay, but then it takes a bit of aligning to get the camber alignment right.  If you want to lower the front 3" or more, consider spindles.  (Although a bit more costly.  Springs are an acceptable method, I just recommend a spindle drop.)  Just don't cut the coils an forget about them.  Buy new lowering coils.

Like stated above, put in new ball joints while you have the front end apart.  If the ball joints are riveted on, they are original.  If bolted on, they were replaced, but unless oyu know the history, it would still be a good idea to replace them while it is convenient.

I like the line from the Metallica song.  And if only you had the money you put into those shoes to put into your truck... ;)  

'79 GMC shortbed 454 th400 14 bolt FF NP205 Dana 60

Offline brockley23

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2002, 07:31:00 PM »
I know on the shoes.  I am starting to get rid of them since I am going away to school in a month or so and wont be able to take them all with me.  When I got started with them I didnt have a car and my parents were talking about buying one so I didnt think to put any money away to customize.  As of now, there is a local 88 gmc truck for sale for 4500 and it has the same stuff done that i would do to mine and is a generation newer for the right price so now i have to talk my parents into it but it would cost the same as my current truck plus the stuff i want to do to it.  Ill let you know what I decide.  Thanks for all the help.
brockley