Author Topic: Truck Lowered in the rear 1" from the factory???  (Read 3438 times)

Offline TIMSPEED

Truck Lowered in the rear 1" from the factory???
« on: January 11, 2003, 09:10:00 PM »
I *THINK* my truck is lowered in the rear 1", FROM THE FACTORY! Is that even possible? Right now, my front and rear fenders are 32" from the ground (I have some stuff in the back, weighing it down). But what makes me think it's lowered in the back...is the fact that, on the rear of the leaf spring, it has what looks like a small drop shackle! Do they come factory with that, or does the spring mount directly to the hanger? We're the original owners of the truck (it's a 75 Cheyenne SWD) and my dad said it's NEVER been lowered in any way/shape/form. Just curious, because if this is the case, then the drop I'm putting on it won't be as dramatic, will it? (I'm going 2½"/4")  

Offline 79GMC4x4

• Registered Users
I doubt it
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2003, 07:08:00 PM »
A 1975 anything has the potential to have sagging, especially a pickup in the rear.  If it was used often to carry heavy payloads, you can count on it.  Then there's the related wear on the rubber bushings.  Another thing you may not realize, is that this style of GM truck and older had lower fender openings in the rear than in the front.

'79 GMC shortbed 454 th400 14 bolt FF NP205 Dana 60

Offline TIMSPEED

?
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2003, 08:01:00 PM »
No no, it has a SHACKLE..that was my question, if that SHACKLE was factory. I know the sagging of course is with age and wear..but that SHACKLE is what got my curiousity. I THINK it was put on there, in part with the dealer installed tow-package. (So the rear wouldn't be too high, in order to fit the tow hitch on the trailer just perfect.)  

Offline 73K20

• Registered Users
Re: ?
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2003, 04:54:00 PM »
Every vehicle equipped with leaf springs has a shackle.  The shackle allows the spring to flex as loads are (or bumps) are applied.  If you were to mount the spring directly to the frame mount then you would get no effect from the sustpension at all.

Are the bolt holes in the shackle approx. 3.5" apart center to center.  If they are then you have a stock shackle.  I would say that if the shackle is longer than this then you may have some variation that i have never heard off.

1973 K20 - 350/350/205

Offline TIMSPEED

`
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2003, 05:33:00 PM »
Nevermind. I thought I was lowered from the factory :lol