Author Topic: 1981 Dual Gas Tank Hose/Line Diagram Needed  (Read 17806 times)

Offline firebirdta84

• New Users
1981 Dual Gas Tank Hose/Line Diagram Needed
« on: July 01, 2013, 06:08:35 AM »
Hey guys,

I inherited a 1981 GMC Sierra 3/4 ton that I am in the process of restoring. The truck originally came with the two gas tanks. When I got the truck, only the driver's side tank was there and the lines bypassed the missing second tank and the valve. I've tried searching for a diagram with no luck. Can anyone help me out as to what I need to connect to get this thing working? Both fuel sending units have 3 ports, as does the valve:

Thanks
Joe

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
Re: 1981 Dual Gas Tank Hose/Line Diagram Needed
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2013, 01:30:26 AM »
5/32" port to carburetor ported vacuum, 1/4" port to manifold vacuum (often teeing into the PCV valve plumbing), 5/16" port to fuel tanks and ~3/8" shrouded vent port to atmosphere.
http://forum.73-87chevytrucks.com/smforum/index.php/topic,26271.msg219070.html#msg219070
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Online bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2013, 10:20:10 AM »
The 3-port fuel tank pickups have 3/8", 5/16" and 1/4" hose nipples.  The 3/8" is supply to the fuel pump, 5/16" is vent to vapor canister (each tank vent will tee together, before running to the canister via a single steel line), and the 1/4" is fuel return from the mechanical fuel pump (the return line helps to combat vapor lock in hot climates - used on 3/4 and 1-ton chassis).  If the fuel pump doesn't have a 1/4" return nipple, you can cap the 1/4" nipples on the senders. 

The selector valve you need, 3-port vs 6-port,  will depend on whether you are using the 1/4" fuel return to the tanks.  Only the supply lines route through a 3-port selector valve.  Whereas, the supply lines and the return lines route through a 6-port valve.  Running the return through the selector valve is important to prevent the tanks from transferring fuel between them and potentially overfilling.

Regarding the valve, the paired nipples (2 on a 3-port; 4 on a 6-port) that exit the same side of the valve connect to the tanks, the single nipple or double nipples (1 on a 3-port; 2 on a 6-port) that exit the opposite side of the valve connect to the fuel pump as described above.
Rich
It's difficult to know just how much you don't know until you know it.
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!
87 R10 Silverado Fleetside 355 MPFI 700R4 3.42 Locker (aka Rusty, aka Mater)

Offline firebirdta84

• New Users
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2013, 08:37:19 AM »
Awesome...that is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks!