73-87 Chevy _ GMC Trucks > Power Windows & Door Locks

Wiring up power windows and door locks

(1/12) > >>

75chevyk20:
Hey so I'm new to this thing, this is actually my first post. I was wondering if anyone out there had a wiring schematic or knowledge of the power windows and door lock wiring on a '77 c20. After my wife backed my tow mirror into a poll, ripping holes in my door, I found a set of good doors with collapsible mirrors, for $30. This set of doors is out of a '77 c20 with power windows and door locks. To wire these up is it just a matter of running power and ground or do I need to buy any relays or other miscellaneous parts to get these working? Any help is appreciated.

Captkaos:
The wiring diagrams are in the Tech section along with the manuals for each year.

frotosride:
If you want the windows to move at a slowest speed possible then factory wiring will work great but If you would rather upgrade a little since you are running wires either way, I'd recommend relays. Currently the factory switches carry al of the load and crate a lot of voltage and amperage drop just simply sue to their design which is poor if you have ever opened one up. Four relays and a ground off the motor and you will one have fast powerful window action but also the electric motors will last longer due to not being starved for power. I will look up the wiring diagram the I'm doing and you can see how simple it is. Jusst make sure that you get quality relays...its a must.

frotosride:
Here's the diagram that I'm using and many have had a lot of success with. It's simple to se how using the relays to send full power is a drastic benefit over the factory switch. the best thing is that you maintain the switches and use them as switching power for the relays.

frotosride:
Ok, so after getting farther along with this install with my truck I noticed a problem with the above wiring diagram. It may actually work for the intended vehicles but the ground from the motor to the frame will not work to complete the circuit in the type of motors on our trucks. Don't worry, I found the problem and the simple solution as well.
Using 5-pin relays allows terminal 87a to be connected to terminal 30 when the relay is de-energized. By simply running a from 87a to the truck will complete the path for the opposing relay's circuit.

I modified the wiring diagram to reflect a circuit that will actually work.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version