Author Topic: 6" lift 4" blocks and add-a-leafs goo or bad ?  (Read 4005 times)

Offline VTK5Mudder

6" lift 4" blocks and add-a-leafs goo or bad ?
« on: May 10, 2014, 03:06:16 AM »
I'm looking at lift kits for my 79 K10 short bed and not sure if I will go with a 4" or 6" lift I was just looking at some and was wondering what everybody thought of a 6" lift it has 4" blocks with add-a-leafs the truck will be used to play in my mud pit and will eventually see some road and back road/trail use nothing to drastic . what do you guys think ? money is tight and if I go with a 4" with blocks or with springs I will want to go to a 6" sooner or later . I'v never been a big fan of blocks much bigger then 2" but I know a lot of people go with 4" blocks and don't have any problems , so what do you all think I should do ? , thanks for any help/input.

Offline bake74

• Build Thread
Re: 6" lift 4" blocks and add-a-leafs goo or bad ?
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2014, 08:12:04 AM »
      If money is tight now, go with the set up you mentioned, and when you can buy the rear springs (as long as it is not 5 or 6 years down the road when the fronts have settled too much).
     The set up you mentioned should be fine for what you described as long as you keep checking the u-bolts periodically.
#1: The easiest and most obvious solution to any problem is 99% of the time correct.
#2: There is no such thing as impossible, it just takes longer.
  74 k10, 77k10    Tom

Offline VTK5Mudder

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2014, 02:40:12 AM »
the big thing is the truck wont be on the road all that much more for mud play {we have are own little mud pit in are back field} some backroad use which is when it will be on the main roads for short dist.  but I have always heard of people who have had blocks kicking out and have seen a truck once which had a 6" rear block lift have one kick out the good was it didn't happen on a main road , I would never put in a six inch block lift just crazy. my rear springs look good the truck sits nice front and rear when I bought it they had replaced the body mounts and im not sure but looks like a 2" mounts I hope to get under it and measure it sun. my other question is if I put in a 6'lift will I need to do anything to the drive shafts or ? and if I do have a 2" body lift then put in a 6" what about then ? now if I do have a 2" body lift should I just go with a 4" lift and is it safe to run 4" blocks ?

Offline bake74

• Build Thread
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2014, 09:58:58 AM »
     There are a lot of 4" blocks out there on trucks.  Not everyone likes them, but the fact remains that they are out there and are running on many trucks.
     You are right, I would never advise a 6" block to be put in, to me that is just too much stress on the block area.
     If you go 6" or higher (lift or combo of things) you have to start worring about brake cables not being long enough, emergency cables, etc.  So anything over a 4" and you should check everything for flex before actually taking it off road.
#1: The easiest and most obvious solution to any problem is 99% of the time correct.
  74 k10, 77k10    Tom

Offline VTK5Mudder

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2014, 01:57:58 PM »
ya I guess before I do to much I need to figure out whats in the truck for a body lift . At least it looks like it has a body lift the guys I bought the truck from didn't know if it did or not but said it did look a little higher , I fig. it did since it looked like it plus it has a new mounts on it. guess ill get the tape out ! if its a 2" body lift I should prob. not go much more then a 2" or 3" kit . will I be safe with a 5"lift ? or have just as much trouble as a 6" kit? I don't have a lot of money extra money to put in changing a lot of lines etc.etc. , Thanks for your input.

Offline bake74

• Build Thread
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2014, 07:30:47 PM »
     Body lifts are noticeable from the front, there will be a gap between the valance and bumper.  (the piece under the grill and top of the bumper), unless someone went to the trouble of raising the bumper.  Which is not the case most of the time.
     If it has a 2" body lift, go with a 4" suspension lift which equals to a 6" lift without the hassle of changing lines.
  74 k10, 77k10    Tom

Offline VTK5Mudder

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2014, 10:44:23 AM »
haven't had a chance to measure the body mounts with going to physical therapy and trying to get things done when its not raining its been a pain ! it doesn't look like theres any gap which i never even thought of duh ! but compared to all the rest of the truck we have it sits like a good 1" or 2 higher i know the mounts are yellow in color and right now my son just put his new 35" mud countrys on it and it just barely hits the front of the front fenders on turning and with the susp. under load i guess you would say.

Offline bake74

• Build Thread
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2014, 10:18:05 AM »
     If he put 35x12.5x15" tires on, and it barely rubs when the vehicle is in a turn off centered like you said.  It has either a 2 or 2 1/2" lift or a body lift on for sure.  It would depend on the width of the tire really, you did not mention that in your post.  Other wise in a off centered turn you would really be rubbing with 35" and stock suspension.
    Have you compared springs from this truck to another of your trucks for any arch difference ?
  74 k10, 77k10    Tom

Offline VTK5Mudder

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2014, 06:02:30 PM »
 yes there 12.50.15's and they just hit the molding that goes around the finders. and sorry I should have said the complete size 35.12.50.15

Offline VTK5Mudder

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2014, 06:05:37 PM »
I forgot to say I haven't compared the springs, the front I know don't arch like some I have seen.

Offline bake74

• Build Thread
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2014, 09:04:54 PM »
I forgot to say I haven't compared the springs, the front I know don't arch like some I have seen.

If they have a negative arch, then they are more than likely factory.
  74 k10, 77k10    Tom