Author Topic: Exhaust cut outs  (Read 5518 times)

Offline Wesleyak47

Exhaust cut outs
« on: December 04, 2015, 12:14:52 PM »
I have a chevy c10 with 350 in it. It has a stage 2 summit racing intake 750 carb and a comp thumpr cam and headers with stock heads. Will me running cut outs hurt the performance of the truck

Offline Stewart G Griffin

Re: Exhaust cut outs
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2016, 08:06:35 AM »
i would say it depends on where the cut outs are located.

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2016, 09:41:29 AM »
http://forum.73-87chevytrucks.com/smforum/index.php?topic=26647.0
read up. but unless you have a race motor then it will hurt your performance if you take away from the scavenging
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline brennent

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2016, 05:54:32 PM »
If you put your cut outs too far up, yes, you will lose power. But for the most part you wont gain or lose any power. I have done a lot of research on cut outs (if you buy them i would opt for manual ones because the wiring on the electric ones has a tendency to fail in the heat from the exhaust pipe) and have thought about buying them myself, they will give you a loud straight pipe sound, with almost no effect on power. I recently got torn a new one on here for asking about buying one, i think its a cool addition to the truck, but not everyone agrees.
-Tyler

1978 C-10 Cheyenne Big 10 350 quadrajet

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2016, 06:17:28 PM »
If you put your cut outs too far up, yes, you will lose power. But for the most part you wont gain or lose any power. I have done a lot of research on cut outs (if you buy them i would opt for manual ones because the wiring on the electric ones has a tendency to fail in the heat from the exhaust pipe) and have thought about buying them myself, they will give you a loud straight pipe sound, with almost no effect on power. I recently got torn a new one on here for asking about buying one, i think its a cool addition to the truck, but not everyone agrees.

http://forum.73-87chevytrucks.com/smforum/index.php?topic=32504.msg275244#msg275244
i wouldnt take that as "torn a new one" but you did ask for input on "Should i get one, or should i keep it as is". we gave our opinions
and if you read this you will see we start giving facts about scavenging and back pressure and whats good and whats bad

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline brennent

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2016, 06:36:43 PM »

http://forum.73-87chevytrucks.com/smforum/index.php?topic=32504.msg275244#msg275244
i wouldnt take that as "torn a new one" but you did ask for input on "Should i get one, or should i keep it as is". we gave our opinions
and if you read this you will see we start giving facts about scavenging and back pressure and whats good and whats bad

They are a cool thing to have and turn heads, but i was trigger shy becasue how long would they be cool for, and one person asked my why would i ever do that, ive read that before and i understand the pros and cons, but some people just want the sound for their truck.
-Tyler

1978 C-10 Cheyenne Big 10 350 quadrajet

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2016, 06:58:26 PM »
i understand where youre coming from, but i think most of us agree open headers or straight pipes sound like crap and unless youre tuned to run that setup youre only gaining sound and losing performance. even on my cummins i have only a down pipe. and im tired of it lol i need to get things in order and get her fixed 

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2016, 08:00:54 AM »
i see the new camaro and probably corvette have active exhaust valves, controlled electronically at the muffler(?).   So maybe there ARE performance benefits to be had with cutouts?

BTW, did you ever think a 4 cyl camaro would re-appear?  Well, it's back and i would probably get it if i was going buy a new camaro which i wouldn't.

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2016, 03:58:55 PM »
The reason manufacturers made 4 cyl Camaro's and mustangs etc was to appease federal CAFE standards that afforded them benefits. They weren't thinking about what the consumer wanted and weren't responding to demand either. They still play that game and that's how they can continue to appeal to the performance market. Few and far between want to say, dude check out my Camaro.....ECO POWER (although Stewart would almost rock it!)

The technology is going to significantly change so don't be surprised when one day we are talking about what a joke an LS swap is and we'll be talking about popping in a camshaft-less engine in our trucks instead. That's when the real fun will start, I digress
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠¯¯¯¯¯'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2016, 08:23:21 AM »
Yeah, it's 122 cubic inches!   Doesn't seem enough for a camaro, but it works apparently.  No, i just like 4cyl turbo cars---mustang svo, Thunderbird turbo coupe etc.  The There was something fascinating to me about the T-bird because it's a relatively large car with a 4 cyl.

But IF i was going to buy a new camaro, which i wouldn't, then yes that would most likely be the one.  As you can probably tell along with my swap i like small engines.  i like big ones too though.

What was the original question?  ;)

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2016, 03:40:10 PM »
lol
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠¯¯¯¯¯'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline Captain Swampy

• Wisconsin
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2016, 05:10:41 PM »
If you like the sound of open exhaust, put the cut outs on! The exhaust you have on now most likely isn't tuned, so cut outs won't make a difference. Unless your current exhaust is really restrictive, then the cut outs would help power. I would want electric ones for street use. Having manual cut outs would suck if Barney Fife was nearby.

When I was in Tech school, I put a 82 body on a 73 3/4 ton 2wd chassis. It had the granny low 4speed with 3.73's. A buddy helped me freshen a 307 for it. Anyhow......I got it all together, was out of money and had to choose between brakes and exhaust. I did manage to find 2 pieces of pipe  that bolted to the manifolds made a 90 deg bend and extended 18" or so. If we ( I was dating my wife then) saw a cop, the key was turned off and we coasted. LOL. It was fun to play with, but even at that age, open exhaust all the time sucked.

A friend gave me a used cam for that 307. No clue what it was, but that 307 loved it. That thing would scream! We had a lot of fun in that pickup ;D :'(
1987  350TBI 700R4  4X4  4.56 gears  33" BFG All Terrain

http://forum.73-87chevytrucks.com/smforum/index.php?topic=32209.0