Author Topic: 74 blazer, tailgate won't close  (Read 5136 times)

Offline AgentOrange74

74 blazer, tailgate won't close
« on: February 21, 2016, 10:12:56 PM »
Just bought a '74 blazer, I know nothing of its history, except that it's still wearing it original paint. It looks like it's been well used, but not horrendously abused. There is no sheetmetal or other damage that would indicate an accident.

For some reason, the tailgate won't close. On the left (driver's) side there is a gap of about 1/2" between the tailgate and the bed (indicated by the green arrow).. just enough that the alignment tab won't insert into the bracket. I have sighted down the length of the body at the transition line (indicated by the thin green line on the photo), and it's perfectly straight, no indication that the bed side could possibly be bent outward.

Interestingly, the gap on the right side is uniform. The right side closes nicely. Sighted down the right side, and it looks every bit as straight as the left.

I have also inspected the inside of the bed carefully, and there is no indication anywhere that the left side had been pushed out or modifed or anything of the sort. I am baffled as to what could make the bed sides out of square. The only thing I can think of would be a twisted frame, but it seems like that would manifest itself in other places as well. This is the only part of the vehicle that doesn't square up.

Any thoughts?

Offline blazer74

74 blazer, tailgate won't close
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2016, 11:25:05 PM »
Sure looks like something on the left is tweaked.
Does the rear window fit when up?

If you have some room to play with on the right side and if  you can loosen the rusted tailgate hinge bolts you might be able to center the tailgate enough for it to close but it sure looks like the left side quarter is off a bit.

There was another blazer called agent orange a while back that had a pickup bed grafted on to replace the rusted bed.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2016, 11:31:32 PM by blazer74 »

Offline Burkhalter

Re: 74 blazer, tailgate won't close
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2016, 11:34:27 AM »
I know I'm answering a question with a question. But is there a difference in width between the 70s blazer and the 80s blazer? If the 80s tailgate is narrower that could be an explanation.
'85 Chevy K10 361ci sm465

Offline blazer74

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2016, 11:51:11 AM »
Same

Offline 1967KaiserM715

• 1985 GMC K1500 w/ 6.5 TD
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2016, 08:15:30 PM »
It shouldn't be perfectly straight all the way back, it should start a very, very mild curve right around the wheel well. You can sort of notice it on the right side. It is very mild, but is most likely the reason it is off by , 1/4 inch probably?

I'm not too familiar with the floor attachment, but assuming it is welded, look for cracks in the floor, near the seams.

Sent from my Lenovo TAB 2 A10-70F using Tapatalk

Current Vehicles:1985 GMC K10(Daily) 1991 GMC K2500(Daily) 1975 Beetle(not running) 1985 Mercedes 300D(not running) 1952 M35    1967 M715(not running)
 1986 Chevy K30(under repair)

Offline philo_beddoe

• 77 C-10
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2016, 08:56:33 PM »
Never mind the blazer, agent orange where is that? Looks sunny and warm! Looks like nice country, southwest?
Behold, the day of the LORD cometh, and thy spoil shall be divided in the midst of thee.  Zechariah 14:1

Offline gunrac

• Frequent Member
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2016, 10:30:38 PM »
Never mind the blazer, agent orange where is that? Looks sunny and warm! Looks like nice country, southwest?

Easy...........the war has been over 4 quite some time.......he has no clue......
Never Apologize..........as it shows signs of weakness

Offline AgentOrange74

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2016, 08:59:07 AM »
@1967KaiserM715 Thanks for that clue, I'll look more carefully down the right side and see what I can see. Next question is how would I go about correcting such a thing? My best guess would be to take the top off and attach a piece of 3/16 x 1 1/2" x 18" flat bar stock to the top of the bed rail and use a come-along attached to a firmly anchored object (maybe another truck bumper?) and pull it back into alignment... thoughts?

@philo_beddoe southwestern utah, St. George area. Mid 70's this time of year :)

Offline philo_beddoe

• 77 C-10
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2016, 10:51:46 AM »
On my way!!! Lol, near the green river? Good trout fishing i hear.
Behold, the day of the LORD cometh, and thy spoil shall be divided in the midst of thee.  Zechariah 14:1