Author Topic: diesel trouble starting  (Read 6923 times)

Offline fitz

Re: diesel trouble starting
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2017, 05:07:39 AM »
How long have you owned this truck?
Did you find the check ball bd mentioned?  I can get a picture of its location if it will help.
If the check ball is gummed up it a a sure sign that the injector pump is on its way out.  A rebuilt one is about a $500 as Irish pointed out.
Sometimes people will drill out the check ball to keep the truck running a little longer until they can replace the injector pump.  While removing the check ball will buy you time, it also lets the fuel drain out of the pump, which can cause hard starts.  Check to make sure yours is there.

Offline 1967KaiserM715

• 1985 GMC K1500 w/ 6.5 TD
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2017, 11:18:26 AM »
The fuel tank cap should be vented as well-if it isn't and you do have a lot of suction when removing the cap that could also cause hard starts, and stalling. You want to make sure the return lines are clear as well, too much internal injection pump pressure can cause stalling.

Also try to refrain from pouring anything down the intake-if anything put it in a squirt bottle and do only a few squirts. Pam cooking spray also works. Problem with large quantities of fluid will hydro lock the engine and could bend rods.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Current Vehicles:1985 GMC K10(Daily) 1991 GMC K2500(Daily) 1975 Beetle(not running) 1985 Mercedes 300D(not running) 1952 M35    1967 M715(not running)
 1986 Chevy K30(under repair)

Offline Jimo

« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2017, 08:51:23 PM »
Fitz,

I have had the truck over 9 years. Thanks for the offer of a picture showing the check valve, but I understand where the valve is, so a picture is not needed. Actually I did buy a rebuilt pump about a year ago, so I will go ahead and change it.

Thanks for your input.

Jimo

Offline Jimo

« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2017, 08:59:34 PM »
1967KaiserM715,

The tank has pressure when I remove the cap, but not excessive.
Your suggestion about hydro lock is good. I will  get a small spraybottle and keep it under the hood.
Also I have and plan to soon change the injection pump.

Thanks for the advice.

Jimo