73-87 Chevy _ GMC Trucks > 4 Wheel Drives

Convert back to full time

(1/3) > >>

MechanicallyIgnorant646:
It's a '79 GMC K1500 Sierra Grande and I'm pretty sure the hub locks on my truck are not original, and whatdayaknow, they're broken. How difficult is it to convert back to full time 4x4 and what does it involve? Thanks in advance.

I'd much prefer to not have to worry about these things breaking again.

VileZambonie:
Just buy a set of quality locking hubs. They are inexpensive and easy to change. Going to full time locked hubs is not a good idea.

https://www.summitracing.com/search/part-type/locking-hubs/year/1979/make/gmc/model/k1500

MechanicallyIgnorant646:
Why is it not a good idea? Seems like it would be more reliable.

zieg85:
I am not sure why Vile feels that way.  Converted transfer cases need to be put in 4 wheel drive periodically for proper oiling.  The extra moving parts on a full time takes MPG down a bit and adds more wear to the moving parts. 

I agree if it is working as intended new locking hubs are much easier than convert it back.

MechanicallyIgnorant646:
The extra wear, mpg and hassle of converting back makes sense.

I'm not sure but there may be, and probably is more going on here.

I got stuck a while back and front wheels were not turning. This was before the hub locks got broken.
Shop says 4x4 works just fine just use a wrench to turn them they're stiff... well they would click on the lock position just fine.. but now that I've taken their advice thinking something wasnt actually going far enough or whatever.. I broke them.. however on the lock position, can still hear a click.. and the passenger side u-joint will lock, but the passenger side u-joint doesnt, it still turns freely, and I'm betting was in that condition before I broke the hub locks in the 1st place.
So I've got at least 2 problems there to fix now.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version