73-87 Chevy _ GMC Trucks > Members Rides

81 K10 Build

<< < (2/66) > >>

Mike81K10:
Getting started required the removal of my heavy fiberglass topper. Being by myself required me to come up with a solution. I made a stand/cart that I could slide my topper onto. It worked out really well and the topper is being stored on it till I finish the build. To remove the bed I made a lift tool and another dolly for the bed of by truck, which it is sitting on till I am ready to restore and reinstall.

JohnnyPopper:
Wow that's a lot of heavy rust! What part of the country did she live in most of her life?

Mike81K10:
Thanks for asking JohnnyP
There was heavy rust in the fuel tanks and the cowl area had rust out spots along the seam. However, the chassis (frame) only had a little surface rust and most of the truck was not very bad. Some time ago I had to replace the cab corners. I bought the truck in 86 in Colorado. It has also lived in VA, TX, and now AL. I am the second owner and it was in good shape and low miles when I bought it, of course it was only 5 years old. It was not an A/C truck, will be when I am done with a Vintage Air Gen IV system.

I actually bought the truck after I had a car stolen, which was my first car. It was never found and I bought the truck for pulling a boat and mountain driving. The truck ws purchased just prior to my daughter being born. I took my wife and daughter to Saint Mary's Glacier in Colorado in my truck, hauled firewood from the mountain, and went hunting. St Mary's Glacier has a rough 4x4 trail to get to it and many vehicles did not make it. Can propably be found on the internet. My daughter was in her car seat and was laughing up a storm as a baby, while my wife ws crying (scared). Don't think it was dangerous, just a rough ride. So I have kept the truck and decided to rebuild it and one day perhaps my grandson (just turned 2 years old) will get it.

Mike81K10:
The rust in my firewall was cut out and I fabricated new patch panels. The cowl area also needed a couple of small patch panels as well. After welding them in and grinding down the welds, I metal prepped and rust proofed the area. I spray them with 2K Epoxy Primer, then base coated and cleared it. I removed my Wire harness, brake and fuel lines and then my entire chassis was cleaned, stripped of rust (just surface rust), metal prepped, coated with KBS Rust Seal, and then KBS Chassis Topcoat was applied. It turned out well. I also replaced my body bushings and I did a post under Body, Glass, and Paint with the info and pictures on it. It was a lot of work.

Mike81K10:
As I said, my frame turned out OK and I have rebuilt my brake system and am working on the fuel system as well. I installed new stainless steel brake and fuel lines. I am still working on the Cab and have removed the windshield and the rear window. The windshield has no rust around it. However, the rear window does have rust and I have cut out and will weld in new metal around the rear window.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version