73-87 Chevy _ GMC Trucks > Projects Posts (NOT VEHICLES)

Header fitment

<< < (2/2)

jeremy.farlow:
I. Don’t. Wanna!!!

Whelp... I didn’t want to do either, I guess I figured it was kinda like two wrong don’t make a right, but three lefts do?!?

Even if that big old motor swings back and forth I think the combo of relieving the frame and bashing the header tubes should compensate. Or at least leave room for my cool header-wrap:

Also... why buy something when you can make it for 10x cost and 100x aggravation?!?

Today’s project...

Oil filler for one valve cover option:

This is just the lathe work, I’ll put it in the indexing head on the mill tomorrow and put some finger-grip-reliefs on it, like the one on the bottom.

All of this came about after I broke the factory valve cover:

There was a piece of mold leavin’ on the gasket in just the perfect spot. I think I can fix the factory covers and plan to try, but the $100 eBay specials were too good to pass up.

Dad is coming back Monday morning to put the engine in again... third times a charm... hopefully.

Jeremy

jeremy.farlow:
I lied... the oil-filler cap went back on the lathe for one operation. Knurling is one of those things I WISH I didn’t like as much as I do... I figure every little bit helps though...:

Happy Father’s Day to all the dads out there!!!

Jeremy

jeremy.farlow:
SUCCESS!!!:

Jeremy

wz7u:
That is some nice machine work on that cap. I only wish I had something that nice on this engine. How much time do you have in something like that?

Your post lets me know exactly what to look for on my up and coming experiment in header-dom. They never go like the box says they will....

Big blocks unite!

jeremy.farlow:
The cap took the better part of an afternoon. I’m no machinist, but I’ve liked running a lathe since the first time I got the chance to.

I don’t remember exactly, but I would hazard I did that oil-cap while procrastinating something else… wiring… or maybe bashing my headers in…

Be safe

Jeremy

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version