Author Topic: Tis the season....for mice!  (Read 2787 times)

Offline fiddler

• Site Supporters
  • Registered Users
  • 74 Chevy C10 Stepside
Tis the season....for mice!
« on: October 18, 2020, 06:39:27 PM »
So I have a 1974 chevy stepside c10.  I had trouble with mice getting in the truck and ended up replacing a lot of insulation and seat and interior due to rodent damage.  So I found all of the holes to keep them out of the cab, but I still ended up getting them in the Heater/AC blower compartment.   I figured out last year in the winter that the entrance was most likely a vent, and if I took a minute to shut off the heater/AC when I parked the vent would close and I would not have that issue.  It seemed to work last winter, so here we are coming up on winter again and I will be shutting off the heater religiously.  I will let you guys know how it works.  Does anyone know if that does in fact shut down the vents to the outside?  Thanks for discussions...
Ricky

Offline egorny

Re: Tis the season....for mice!
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2020, 06:57:03 PM »
I have a 98 jeep grand Cherokee that the mice use to like in terms of the wiring. Someone suggested FlexSeal spray, the original black in stopping the mice. It stopped them, totally. I refresh it once a year, spray areas around the wires, under side of truck my axles etc. They stay away totally.
FYI, also have a  76 gmc Sierra classic shortbed

Offline fiddler

• Site Supporters
  • Registered Users
  • 74 Chevy C10 Stepside
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2020, 03:19:16 AM »
Flex Seal spray.  Who da thunk.....Thanks for the tip!
Ricky

Offline egorny

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2020, 02:42:24 PM »
I tired everything, flashing light, animal urine, human hair, other sprays, Nothing worked
Black flexseal, no problems
A farmer / cruiser told me about it. In fact my local jeep dealer now uses it when there is an issue with animals.
Good luck, I figure it was a cheap thing to try
Ed

Offline roger97338

• Registered Users
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2020, 06:23:46 AM »
I've only had mice in mine one winter..when it was in the garage with two cats. The mice packed my defrost vents full of catfood, so when I'd turn on the defroster, cat food would fly out of the ducts. Not good times.

After that, somebody told me to put dryer sheets "all over" the interior. I'm not sure what amount is the right amount, or even if dryer sheets make mice not hang around. (Maybe the mice think they're ghosts?) But, 10 - 15 dryer sheets under the seat, in the glove compartment, stuffed under the dash, in the heater/defroster ducts if it's not being driven, make it smell better than stale tobacco smoke, mildew, and antique flatulence.

Although I've not had mice since using the dryer sheets, correlation doesn't imply causation. It could also be that I got a few cats that actually catch mice. Or that I moved out of that house that was nestled between two grass fields. If your truck smells funky anyway, it can't hurt to try.

Offline MY1978

• Registered Users
  • Just a girl and her truck since 1978
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2021, 08:20:16 AM »
So, the '78 interior is complete......Finally (thanks to the supply chain debacle >:(  ).  I only drive this truck 1 - 2 times a week and in good weather - so a fair weather driver.  Now, it is cold weather and I want to deter those little furry critters that like to set up house keeping under the hood, in vents, dash, etc. and especially in my new interior (seats are original).  What is everyone's suggestion for deterrants.  I have read about peppermint but was wondering about cedar or other smells.   Amazon sells all kinds of sprays, packets and oils.  Just want something that will work.

Thanks

Offline JohnnyPopper

• Old Goof
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2021, 10:51:13 PM »
Can't help with the crittters, but where did you get the interior seating?

Looks very good!

Working on a '80 C10 and looking for ideas for the interior.

Thanks!!
1957 Apache 3100 235 Inline 6, 3 on the tree
1973 C-20, 3+3 454 4BBL TH400  Water Injection
1978 K-10, 350 4BBL TH350 NP203 M.M. Part time Kit/Hubs
1980 C-10 under construction

Offline MY1978

• Registered Users
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2021, 06:40:09 AM »
Thanks.  If you are referring to the bucket seats & console - those are the originals (recovered once).  I ordered this truck special in '78 with the Silverado blazer interior.  It was an option at the time.  If you look at a good bone yard, might be able to find a set.  I have seen them on Ebay, not in great condition, but you can get them reupholstered.  Shipping could be costly though.  Good luck finding a set if that is the direction you are going.

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2021, 04:41:33 PM »
Your interior looks great! Use something that you can tolerate, like peppermint oil and dryer sheets.
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline MY1978

• Registered Users
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2021, 06:01:59 PM »
Thanks, I worked hard to get it back to nice!!

Offline MY1978

• Registered Users
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2021, 06:05:10 PM »
Flex Seal spray.  Who da thunk.....Thanks for the tip!

Well, maybe I do not have to worry about critters.  When I had the interior gutted and fixing some leaks, I used the crap out of flex seal inside under the dash and on the firewall to help seal up some body fill areas.   ;D
« Last Edit: December 21, 2021, 06:33:39 AM by MY1978 »

Offline bluevan

• Registered Users
  • Iron Hoarder
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2021, 11:08:30 PM »
It is hard for me to express how much I hate mice.  I live in the the northeast and they are certainly a scourge around here if you dont drive it often..  I guess its my own fault for having too many vehicles that dont get driven on a regular basis, but im trying to get my kids to appreciate the older iron, so i tend to collect stuff thats older than 1996.  I have tried some of the suggestions here but from my experience there are only two options.  The best is to store your vehicle in a shipping container when you arent using it.  Number two is to get a cat to live in it.

A month ago I fired up my 94 Impala and almost burned it to the ground because a mouse packed the fan resistor pack with dried grass.  I had to cross my fingers after  started it up and noticed the smoke coming out of the vents.  I guess this is a success story since there was no harm done - but I wish you all the best of luck!

- Joel
1982 GMC K10 (work in progress)
1989 Chevy G20 Van
1994 Chevy Impala SS
1974 Landcruiser (Chevy powered)

Offline MY1978

• Registered Users
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2021, 06:41:34 AM »
WOW!!!  THAT is a mess and glad you saved the car.  I bought some high frequency do-dads that are supposed to detect motion and emit a sound and lights.  One for under hood and one for inside the cab.  Hey, I will try anything.  But, I am also going to use the dryer sheets and strong peppermint oil.  Maybe I will be able to deter them with the ultrasonic do-dads, dryer sheets, oils and the flex seal spray.  That and go out and drive it a couple times a week might help.   ::)

Offline fiddler

• Site Supporters
  • Registered Users
  • 74 Chevy C10 Stepside
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2022, 06:41:05 PM »
Beautiful interior.  I am using Lavender oil.  I put it on cotton make up pads,  (thanks dear),,  and place them in plastic containers in the glove box and under the seat.  I also dump one in the ash tray as nobody is using that.  I saturate the bejeebers out of them.  Then I drilled 10/32 screw size hole in the top of the heater fan housing and I dump (via eye dropper) lavender oil through that hole into the vent system.  I seal the hole with a short screw.  I have been doing this for two winters now and it is successful.  I still find acorns and droppings on the intake manifold, but so far no wiring chewed and the critters stay away.  I also try to shut down the heater/air conditioner controls when I park after use.  My theory is that this will close all the vacuum controlled vents.  Anyway, two years varmint free now.  The stuff is strong enough that I can smell it when I walk up to the truck, but I like lavender so.. by the way, it is strong enough that the first couple of days it makes my eyes water...
Ricky

Offline MY1978

• Registered Users
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2022, 06:38:50 AM »
Thanks about the interior, looks like it originally did coming off the line.  Good advice.  I love lavender and cedar.  I used peppermint, not my favorite smell I used a dropper and dropped it by the dropper fulls into/down vents.  And yes, when I walked up to the truck about 5 feet away I could smell peppermint. I think I will switch off so they do not get used to one smell.  Hmmmmm, I wonder if they have a cat smell scented oil.   ::) ::)  So, I have seen pics where the varmits will also get into the squirrel cage, but if the truck is started often enough, the fan always moves when the ignition is on, so maybe a deterrent.  I always turn off my heater control so as to close the vacuum vent door on passenger side.  Also, since Lavendar is calming, will help with keeping calm when assh***s cut you off........ ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D