Author Topic: Aftermarket Gauge Install  (Read 1510 times)

Offline blues3d

Aftermarket Gauge Install
« on: January 09, 2021, 10:34:10 PM »
I have an 1986 K10 Scottsdale. I am upgrading the oil gauge and the water temp for my newly rebuilt 350 motor. I wasn't going to change them, but my motor guy recommended that I up graded them, as he wanted to view fluid driven gauges during break-in. I wasn't sure how I was going to mount them and I wanted to make them look somewhat original. I used the original gauge face as a mounting bracket, after cutting a hole in it. Not sure if anyone has done this before. It worked out pretty good. Had to drill some bigger holes in the plastic mounting frame and protect the back wiring sheet with some painters tape in a few spots. I soldered the gauge lights to that wiring sheet, so its powered and able to be dimmed with the knob. Just used one of the now unused dash light spots and sanded up the copper to accept the solder. Still holding after a week. Only flaw is that the clear plastic overlay provides light to the front of the gauge and makes it more difficult to read. I may end up removing the original clear plastic from in front of the gauges.
All the cool people I know are musicians!