73-87 Chevy _ GMC Trucks > Members Rides

1980 K20 4x4

<< < (38/38)

Geezer77GMC:
About 25 years ago I noticed the new rear shocks that were supposed to fit my 77 were too short for what I need. The Geezer came with 9 leafs in the rear, 5 in the front. When I drove over a hump in the road the rear shocks limited upward suspension travel causing the rear to lift off the road, very rough ride when empty. I rotated the rear shock mounts on the axle for 2-3 more inch travel upward. The ride is still very stiff when unloaded, but doesn't beat you nearly as much going over humps in the road. It also handles much better with the rear tires on the pavement.

1980K20:

--- Quote from: Geezer77GMC on October 24, 2022, 04:09:29 PM ---About 25 years ago I noticed the new rear shocks that were supposed to fit my 77 were too short for what I need. The Geezer came with 9 leafs in the rear, 5 in the front. When I drove over a hump in the road the rear shocks limited upward suspension travel causing the rear to lift off the road, very rough ride when empty. I rotated the rear shock mounts on the axle for 2-3 more inch travel upward. The ride is still very stiff when unloaded, but doesn't beat you nearly as much going over humps in the road. It also handles much better with the rear tires on the pavement.

--- End quote ---
So far so good. I think the drive train vibration that happened at highway speed is gone with the stock lift also. It drives really nice now.

Transmission shop removed the temperature bypass valve in front of the front cooler that I had put in and cleaned up the hoses big time. The TH350 doesn’t need it.

About two hours work away from moving onto more cleanup stuff. Not really much left, woohoo!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JohnnyPopper:
Nice to see a project come in to the space where the owner envisioned... 8)

Just found out that my K10 Short bed step side was fitted for a camper spring option from the factory.  ;) ;) ;)

Wonder if that contributes to the 'stiff' ride...? 

There is pry a spec sheet on how many leaf springs should be there... :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version