73-87 Chevy _ GMC Trucks > Projects Posts (NOT VEHICLES)

My Hood Hinge Replacement Job and Review.

<< < (3/4) > >>

76StepSd:
 :-\ As I stated they are well lubed now but a little too late lol. When i get it off i will take a look at it...i really do not want to source another hood but.....I will evaluate once i inspect.

Spool:
Wow. Now, I feel rather foolish after unknowingly tinkering with two safety features.
I need start asking more questions than I already am before doing.

I could look into replacing the two bolts while clearing the hood hinge when it closes.

Vile, do you recommend the brackets, or would you remove them for safety?

VileZambonie:
I don't build my trucks for safety  8)

Many aftermarket hoods do not have this feature and some even require you to remove the stops to use them. The manufacturer is off the hook for any safety standards at this point, so it's totally on you. I'm just stating the reasons for the hoods being notorious for bending and the best way to keep it from happening is to stay lubed.  ;D Stiffeners will help it from happening but are you addressing the symptom or the problem? None of my trucks have them.

Chevygold:
Probably teaching you guys how to suck eggs but I've found if you push back on the hood as you push down it goes down a lot easier and less likely to bend it, mine had a slight bend on the passenger side which I got out with some stout timber and a clamp until it lined up nicely with the fender.
Graham

Mr Diesel:
When I bought my 1976 the hinges were so stiff that the hood was bent from previous owner forcing it closed. Some idiot hacked it all up welding braces in, but it was still so stiff the dealer even removed a spring from one side so they could close it. Of course then it didnt want to close properly due to lopsided pressure from just one spring. I bought it and just sprayed some lube on the hinges. Immediately fixed the issue and I put the other spring  back on. Worked great from then on. Amazing what those idiots went through fighting and damaging that hood when all it needed was a little lube on the hinges.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version