73-87 Chevy _ GMC Trucks > Projects Posts (NOT VEHICLES)

C/10 with wings

<< < (2/4) > >>

jeremy.farlow:
It’s all air. Nitrogen more exactly. There’s a high pressure side actuated by a low pressure side. Low pressure works around 90-110 psi. High pressure side, it depends. The C/10 took 1800 psi. I’m trying to see if they’ll let me go “FULL SEND” on the Acura. On the high pressure side all the fittings are hydraulic, so they can handle the pressure. Air works great for this kind of thing because it’s a spring. It can always be compressed more and wants nothing more than to equalize with atmospheric pressure.

You could definitely run this machine hydraulically, but it will be slower. Accumulating hydraulic pressure is more involved than accumulating air. It wouldn’t be terribly difficult on a system of this size, but the speed air expands at still wins every time.

On the truck both arms are facing the same direction. For the car they want it straight up in the air, so the arms face opposite. The car is gonna come more or less back right where it came from. There’s a good chance something may break. The units are bolted to a road plate rented for this job every time. We drill the plate and mount the machines for the circumstances and weld the holes before we return the plate.

Fun times.

Be safe and stay healthy

Jeremy

JohnnyPopper:
"Yeah, we don't know how those shiny spots showed up on your road plate... ::)"

You could always use graphite spray to 'blend in'...

So I realize timing is critical, but do you have a skid plate under the truck to avoid the arms getting tangled?

If you have to protect trade secrets, I get it... 8)

jeremy.farlow:
The only trade secrets are what the guy with the camera is doing. I’ll sign NDA-type documents, depending on the production, but their concern is always for their product. Any tests that I film for myself, etc are mine, though I do generally keep my videos to myself until the project I filmed them for have aired.

To answer the question, yes, there’s a piece of generally 3/8” or 1/2” plate welded underneath the vehicle to be flipped. It’s there for the exact reasons assumed, to give the arms a nice flat piece to push against. There again, the true magic is attempting to hide, or at least not showcase, the smoke and the mirrors.

No matter how hard we try and no matter how talented the camera and editing departments are, there are still plenty of examples where some part of the rig gets seen. My girlfriend won’t even watch action movies with me anymore as I can’t help but suspend her disbelief for pointing out the smoking holes under cars where a cannon was, or the obvious shift from a prepped car with a roll cage to a stock vehicle.

As for the road/trench plates, they don’t care what you do to them, so long as they’re restored to a *mostly* flat, smooth plate when they get returned. Drill holes in them, weld stuff to them, as long as you fill the holes or cut the stuff off they don’t care.

Be safe and stay healthy

Jeremy

jeremy.farlow:
Came back and did it again tonight:

There’s charges to blow the windows, triggered off a runaway trailer brake release. The sparks on the underside are just from the metal-on-metal when the arms hit. Best guess is 8-9 feet off the ground.

Be safe and stay healthy

Jeremy

JohnnyPopper:
Trying to imagine what is being conveyed by the scene of a car levitating and blowing up? Demon possession?

Maybe grease the skid plate to keep the sparks down? or will it catch fire?  ::)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version