Author Topic: Rear axle flip 1987 Silverado  (Read 1700 times)

Offline bigblockchevelleman

Rear axle flip 1987 Silverado
« on: August 30, 2021, 12:42:45 PM »
I was curious is it possible to do a rear axle flip then raise the truck back up so that you only lower it around 4 inches then I could lower the front around 2 -2.5 inches total , not looking to slam it to the ground just a slight lower and a smooth ride because ever since my Dad bought this truck it always had a bounce in the rear end when I ask my Dad why does this truck ride rough  he told me because it's a short bed (he bought the truck brand new) so I'm thinking flipping the rear axle will help because of placing the springs under the axle THANKS for any help or suggestions for me Steve

Offline JohnnyPopper

• Old Goof
Re: Rear axle flip 1987 Silverado
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2021, 03:26:17 PM »
Flipping the axle will not affect the ride.

You still have the same suspension.

If you have leaf springs you can remove a few blades, provided you don't use it to haul heavy stuff...

You might have shocks that are stiff as well.

Then there are sand bags to locate just behind the gate.  8)
1957 Apache 3100 235 Inline 6, 3 on the tree
1973 C-20, 3+3 454 4BBL TH400  Water Injection
1978 K-10, 350 4BBL TH350 NP203 M.M. Part time Kit/Hubs
1980 C-10 under construction

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2021, 04:05:05 PM »
I still want to lower it slightly like 2-2.5 /4 so I was going to flip the rear axle then raise it up some by using shackles and no don't see ever hauling a heavy load in fact I'll be using p type tires as well just looking for slightly lowered and smooth ride because after a stroke 6 years ago I'm lucky enough to still be able to build this truck and reason it's has taken this long but I'm in the final stages  Thank you for the help Steve

Offline MIKE S

• Registered Users
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2021, 04:31:19 PM »
It may have been ordered with heavy duty rear springs which are longer and the rear spring hanger is mounted further back. You can tell by looking at the rear spring hanger location. If the top of the shackle is in line with a bed cross rail it is the short non heavy duty spring. If the top of the shackle has no bed cross rail it is the longer heavy duty spring. Take out the overload and the longer leaf and add a lowering shackle. Put leaf in highest mounting hole. You can do it on the short spring but have to cut the cross rail. I had the heavy duty on my first 87 and this is what I did along with spindles on front.   

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2021, 06:31:42 PM »
I'll have to look at that my Dad had bought several trucks from this dealer over the years ( my Dad was a brick ,block and stone mason ) all the trucks were bought new and used for work but the last couple the 350 was no longer available until 87 models and my Dad went in November 1986 and bought the one I'm currently rebuilding now though it didn't see much work because of health issues and he retired then passed 1990 when I was 27 and until a few years ago h
It sat so it's a special truck to me but unfortunately right after I started rebuilding it I Had a stroke and couldn't do anything for a while Thank you very much for your help Steve

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2021, 06:34:07 PM »
Just use lowering shackles
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10